multi-monitor gfx card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multi-monitor gfx card

I've got a S3 ProSavage KM133 built into the motherboard of my machine at the moment which is probably most like this http://www.microbits.co.uk/proddetails.asp?prodID=475. I would like to purchase another monitor and then have dual displays. What's my best bet gfx card wise? Can I just buy a second, cheap gfx card like this http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/comp...quicklinx=16Y5 and then hook up a second monitor, or do I need to spend some more money? or what.....? pleas make suggestions.

I'm also looking at monitors, cheapest that can be found really. although better value will be considered.

before anyone asks, yes I understand its 3:30am! **** knows why I'm up.

An awful lot of graphics cards do dual displays now. Dual displays don't quite work as you'd think though - they're not quite seperate display devices, well, not with nVidia's setup anyway.

That link of yours didn't work, but I see it's for an ATI rage pro128, which should be cheap as chips these days. It certainly does have 2 monitor outputs (3, if you include TV out as well), but (in my experience) older ATIs would only carbon copy the primary display onto the secondary, so you didn't get a seperate desktop per se, just another copy of it. You'll probably want to investigate that, then.

Perhaps a nice cheap gf4mx with 2 vga/dvi outs might be better, if the old ATIs don't work.

Comment

Matrox have always had pretty good dual / tri monitor support, you could probably pick up one of their cards on the cheap.

check here

Comment

cheers for the replys guys, I'm looking into things at the moment, haven't really got the space for a second CRT so the prob at the moment is finding a cheap-ish LCD - don't know if thats going to happen! Will let you know how I get on, if at all.

Comment

Working...
        X