Dreamcast Sega Smash Pack (Virtual Cop II) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreamcast Sega Smash Pack (Virtual Cop II) question

The Japanese version of Virtual Cop II is a tad pricey, is it worth me getting a cheapo Sega Smash Pack US version with which to play this game? I am assuming it is the same game as the JAP release but with English text, is this right? - out of interest are the other games just straight megadrive ports?

Also aside from House of the dead and confidential mission are there any other lightgun games on the DC of any merit?

Gracias

Virtua Cop 2 is the same game as the Japanese version so buy in confidence (however, the game itself is a conversion of the slightly dodgy PC version, rather than an arcade conversion).

The Megadrive games on the disc are emulated rather than ports. generally fin, although there are one or two graphic issues in some games and the sound emulation is atrocious.

No other DC games worth bothering with either.

Comment

I haven't bothered with confidential mission, but Virtual Cop looks like a worthwhile blast when house of the dead wears a bit thin

Sounds like this compliation was all done on the cheap a bit though, should I just foot the extra and get a JPN virtual cop? I heard the options were a pain to get through though which put me off

What are the opinions of this conversion (pc port) then?

Comment

Originally posted by AllYourBase
        I haven't bothered with confidential mission, but Virtual Cop looks like a worthwhile blast when house of the dead wears a bit thin

Sounds like this compliation was all done on the cheap a bit though, should I just foot the extra and get a JPN virtual cop? I heard the options were a pain to get through though which put me off

What are the opinions of this conversion (pc port) then?
        You should bother with Confidential Mission, it's pretty much Virtua Cop 2.5 in all but name. Lots of variety, plenty of bonuses to go for and a fair amount of unlockable stuff (including an 'alternate' mission with different enemy positions). Lots of cheesy Bond-like aspects too, and a stupid 'outtakes' section in the credits

The version of Virtua Cop 2 on the Smash Pack IS the Japanese DC game (translated of course), proof being when you select the game from the menu (which only takes seconds btw), the DC reboots and loads VC2 up from scratch.

If it is a conversion of the PC port, then the PC port must have been a conversion itself of the Saturn version, as it looks nothing like the arcade game! 30fps, low polygon counts and dithering everywhere. It still plays fairly well but is a bit of a cop-out really (crap pun, sorry).

I reckon you should definitely try Confidential Mission, and give VC2 a miss.

Comment

Yes, as with Panzer Dragoon, Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter, the PC version is a Saturn port.

Comment

Buy a Saturn and VC2,

play on the hardest difficulty, you will NOT be dissapointed. It's fast and looks great.

Next to the arcade it's probably the next best way of playing VC2, plus the Saturn guns feel like the arcade ones.

Comment

Working...
            X