• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The current PSU dimensions are:
    Width 15 cm
    Depth 14 cm
    Height 8.6 cm

There is space for 4 HDD, 2X DVD/CD-R, and 2X Multi card reader slots all at once! So I guess that Corsair CX430 430W Model would suffice?

Comment

So I understand the Acer M3641 desktop requires a Micro ATX (uATX) socket 775 motherboard, with Intel G41 chipset, which uses DDR2 667 memory and accepts a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU? My current mobo looks like this but has an extra chip. http://www.ecrater.co.uk/p/9170932/g...rboard-dx4720#
      The issue I have suffered seems pretty common for the actual DT itself & the Mobo hence I am now 99% certain I will require a new motherboard

Would these bring the unit back to life:
      PSU: Corsair CX430 430W due here Monday
      MOBO: Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L Intel G41 (Socket 775) DDR2 microATX Motherboard [GA-G41M-ES2L] Has a potential for extra 4GB RAM (4GB>8GB upgrade!).
      Our range of Intel motherboards offer up reliable performance for both day-to-day tasks and intense gaming. You can find the best Intel motherboard deals right here at Ebuyer.

I then assume I can swap the CPU, Heatsink, RAM etc from the current board over?
      Worst case scenario I'l have a stable new PSU & MOBO for a rebuild, should the CPU or RAM be toasted!

I can deal with onboard graphics & sound for the meanwhile but would like seperate cards later.
      I don't game on the PC whatsoever, I had been quite keen to toy with music production for fun with fruitloops etc, and the ancient PCI card I found worked fine for that. I would eventually like better (wont be hard its an uber crap card tbh the onboard would be better if it were seperate).

There is also a Intel DG43GT MOBO: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/195983 which I think may work? But other than being able to have 16GB RAM I dont see any other pro's esp when it is twice the price?

Comment

It's expensive to assume the motherboard is fried as well as the PSU, test out the new PSU first. If that fixes it, you'll save yourself time and money (replacing a motherboard basically means taking apart and rebuilding the whole system.

Anyhow, you don't need an expensive motherboard, just get the cheapest one you can, you're not overclocking or gaming so the features don't matter too much. Doesn't have to be exactly the same as the existing one. Only the form factor and socket type matters.

Comment

Ok, New PSU has been installed = no change

There are no beeps whatsoever from the mobo, no BIOS screens, nothing! So I have ordered a GA-G41M-ES2L motherboard as it looks like the closest to the original spec at the lowest cost. As a bonus it is XP / Vista / W7 / 64 Bit compatible I just hope this resolves the deathly silence.

Comment

It's worth mentioning that a new Motherboard may require a repair install of windows (can't remember if the latest windows still write some settings to the bios) and a phonecall to MS to ensure it activates (windows activation classes a new motherboard as a new PC, explain you're repairing an existing PC and they should be fine with it).

Won't lose any data though.

It does sound like a total motherboard failure which is incredibly unusual (unless the PSU failed and took the motherboard with it). You've replaced all the other parts which could be causing it.

Comment

It might be the capacitors on the old motherboard have leaked. Look for ones that look like they're about to blow open (like this). The 6.3v rated caps are the usual suspects.

Comment

On removing the CPU Heatsink there were 2 wedges of fluff sitting in the edge of the CPU socket! I removed the fluff and cleaned both the CPU and Heatsink & re-applied the thermal paste, put it all back together and............ Nothing still dead as a dodo.

Oldgamingfart Nothing looks like it has blownw up that I can see? I'l post pics later.

I have assembled the new Mobo and getting ready to plug it in press start, I am poopooing my pants big style
                Should I not plug in the HDD's to start with or am I going live with HDD, DVD, RAM?

Comment

I would plug in everything apart from the hard drive(s). See if it will POST, and hit the correct key to get into the BIOS.

At this point: Power off > Reconnect Hard drive(s) > Power on > Enter BIOS > Check status of memory and drives (primary/ secondary etc) > Save and Exit.

Comment

Working...
                  X