Graphic card DVi HDMI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphic card DVi HDMI

I have a 460 GTX card that also has a mini HDMI socket.

I'm currently using the standard DVI socket on a monitor, but would be possible to also connect it to my TV HDMI socket simultaneously?

Not to have duel display, but just so I can sometimes use the TV or sometimes use the monitor. Would there be no conflictions?

Last time I connected it to the TV it worked fine until I plugged the DVi cable back in and all sound on the PC was disabled with no way to turn it back on.

Your graphics card is probably trying to deliver sound over HDMI. There'll be a setting somewhere to disable this.

You can almost certainly get a HDMI splitter/switch but be aware that unless you have high quality cables, HDMI tends to peter out after about 2m

Comment

2m? That seems way too short for a digital signal to struggle with.

Comment

You've 19 cables fluctuating their voltage 340million times a second. resistance in the cables and interference (internal and external) have a massive effect on it.

For comparisson, USB 1.1 has a maximum cable length of 3m, USB2 5m

Comment

You don't recommend these then?

Comment

I'd be surprised if they could carry a signal 15m without getting some glitching.

Comment

I'll be trying it out at some point next year, although not that long admittedly. I'll let you know!

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                Your graphics card is probably trying to deliver sound over HDMI. There'll be a setting somewhere to disable this.

You can almost certainly get a HDMI splitter/switch but be aware that unless you have high quality cables, HDMI tends to peter out after about 2m
                So I thought, but when I had the problem I tried messing with the sound but to fix it but couldn't. I system re-install fixed the problem..

I'm thinking if I plug both cables in at the same time, which one will come on? Or will they both display?

Comment

I have a 15 meter hdmi lead made by Neet (amazon / ebay) running from an hdmi matrix.
                  No signal problems at all, even with bitstreaming hd audio at 1080p from the htpc.

Comment

I think you'd be best off by setting up dual monitors after all. That way you can just leave the cables alone and use the nvidia control panel to turn the tv into the primary monitor whenever you want to use it.

Comment

I'm using a 10m HDMI cable to connect my 360 and PS3 to my A/V Receiver and I haven't experienced any problems with the video/audio. 1080 24/60p runs fine even with 5.1 LPCM audio added.

I haven't spent a fortune on that cable either. It was something in the range of 50GBP. Your experience may vary though depending on the devices and cable you are using.

Comment

Working...
                      X