TV Optical Out Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV Optical Out Question

This is more of a double checking than a question.

I was just thinking about when my new TV comes and setting it all up and suddenly had a thought. My current TV doesn't have optical out so when I change between inputs such as 360, PS3, PC and Virgin+, I have to change the input on my amp as well for sound. Which is just annoying to be fair.

Now that my new TV has optical out though, I can simply connect that to the amp and whatever input I'm on for the TV the amp will take the Dolby Digital signal from the TV providing I'm connecting all my boxes to the TV via HDMI?

I guess this is the case but just want someone to confirm please? Although my PC, would that carry sound over HDMI? I'm planning on getting a separate sound card as I don't have surround sound for it right now but I imagine that would have to be connected separately?

In theory it will work. In practice there will be some stupid limitation (limited to Stereo, limited to standard-def audio without any HD audio formats like those on BD) that will probably make it not worthwhile.

Comment

My old Toshiba TV had a digital output, but all it would output was the sound from the built in tuner even if I wasn't using it. It was very silly

Comment

The coax output on my TV passes Dolby Digital or DTS from the HDMI inputs. Great feature as it meant I didn't need my optical splitter anymore. I don't have a fancy surround amp so I don't know if it would pass on DTS MA or suchlike.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossco View Post
          Although my PC, would that carry sound over HDMI? I'm planning on getting a separate sound card as I don't have surround sound for it right now but I imagine that would have to be connected separately?
          If you have a recent graphics card, these usually have a basic sound chipset for outputting sound over HDMI. It may or may not support HD audio formats, however.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            I don't have a fancy surround amp so I don't know if it would pass on DTS MA or suchlike.
            If it's HDMI 1.3 it should.

Comment

Just depends on the model of TV, some will pass the full stream, some will only output digital stereo.

Comment

Ah I see, thought it might be as messy an answer as this! Basically a wait and see then. No point in doing it if it has to be stereo only. I don't have an HD audio amp so DD and DTS will be fine if it does it. I might just have to get an optical splitter, I didn't actually think you could get them for some reason. No degredation in the signal quality?

Comment

No degradation in quality, being an all-digital signal. I've used one of these for 5 years and it still works a treat, though you might want something powered if you prefer to switch using a remote control.

Comment

Cool thanks, I'll wait and see what happens when I try it using the TV. My Denon amp only has two optical in's which is annoying as otherwise it's a great amp that has lasted me years and probably still will. I'm gonna try and get a sound card for my PC with coaxial out though as I have a spare input for that in the amp which is just wasted space now.

Comment

I would recommend getting an optical splitter rather than buying a sound card with the option for coaxial digital output. Thing is that coaxial, even when used as a digital data carrier, is still an electric connection which might create humming/ground loops when connected to a Receiver. This is especially true when using it in combination with a PC because they are more likely to get that sort of problem than let's say a DVD Player with a coaxial output. So I would try to use the optical out on the PC if possible.

I used one of those splitters for some time and there was no reduction in quality even though it was rather cheap.

Comment

Ah ok I did not know that about the Coaxial cable, thanks for the infoz.

Comment

In fairness though, whilst what the above poster says is completely correct, you're still unlikely to have a problem with coaxial. If you don't have enough optical sockets even after buying a splitter, don't be afraid of using coaxial.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonfly10 View Post
                            I used one of those splitters for some time and there was no reduction in quality even though it was rather cheap.
                            Digital signals are not subject to a degradation in quality like analogue signals. Hence there is little point paying for an expensive splitter or digital cable to connect it to the sources. It either works, or it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                            X