PS2 SCART cable...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 SCART cable...

Can anyone compare the quality difference (if any...) between the official PS2 RGB SCART lead and an unoffical one? There seem to be lots of conflicting reports regarding this... some say no difference, while others say that only the official is any good. So what is really the case regarding this?

Also, can anyone actually post an image of one? I don't know what the heck they look like...

Cables:

Official cable

Unofficial cable

Run through XRGB-2+.

Comment

Thanks for that! So there's no difference at all then?

Comment

Lol, you eyes are broken!

The official cable clearly gives a more vivid image.

Comment

Maybe I should remove the caps in the Blaze.. Can't really be messed.

Comment

I had a cheap third party cable with my PS2 and the image wasn't too good at all. Reds were very fuzzy and there was quite a lot of fringing on bright objects.
            I replaced it with a Joytech branded cable and it is far better.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSpecWarrior View Post
              Lol, you eyes are broken!

The official cable clearly gives a more vivid image.
              My eyesight is generally very good, but I just ain't seeing it this time.

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
              I had a cheap third party cable with my PS2 and the image wasn't too good at all. Reds were very fuzzy and there was quite a lot of fringing on bright objects.
              I replaced it with a Joytech branded cable and it is far better.
              Was it one of these by any chance? That's the one that I've got right now. Found it in Poundland.

Comment

To be fair mate it might depend what display you're viewing speedlolita's photos on. To me though I can see a pretty clear difference between the two.

Comment

It's a 19" CRT monitor.

Comment

The unofficial cable is definitely more saturated. Far less vibrant, I wouldn't be too bothered about getting an official cable if you're happy with what you have. I only have one as it came with my debug PS2 from the seller. Didn't pay the premium basically.

Comment

wasn't there also monster, ixos etc that made a ps2 rgb scart lead ?

with the ps2 i tend to use component now as 480i is rather good on my lcd monitor with hd box pro.

Comment

There's definitely an IXOS one as I've got it. Not sure how it compares with the SONY one but its considerably better than cheap 3rd party leads.

Comment

The official Sony lead is one of the highest quality official cables I've ever used, it's really good. Whether or not it's noticably better than a decent quality unofficial cable is another matter, but it's high quality even as far as official cables go.

You would be better off using Component and taking advantage of 480p in supporting titles, but I assume since you're wanting to use RGB Scart, you intend to connect to a CRT or something.

Comment

Yes, a 28" 4:3 Thomson CRT that I managed to fix up. I forgot how fantastic games look through it with RGB SCART. I'm currently using the Joytech RGB SCART cable and it looks as good as I could wish for really. So when I saw people saying that the official Sony one is better I was thinking how good exactly, since I thought that the Joytech could not be bettered...
                            Last edited by Breadboy; 15-12-2010, 18:30.

Comment

Making claims about unofficial RGB SCART cables in general is simply pointless. I've had good, OK and bad experiences with such cables and even differences between supposedly identical cables bought at the same time from the same shop.

Point is: buying unofficial ones is a lottery, buying the official one isn't. I'd say it's worth the gamble, others, I know, will disagree.

But if you're happy with what you're using I doubt in swapping to an official one you'll notice much if any difference. So stop worrying and save your cash.

Comment

Working...
                              X