Super-slim PS2 Vs. Regular slim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super-slim PS2 Vs. Regular slim

I'm tempted to grab a cheap PS2. They're all roughly 8000 yen here regardless of which model you get, so I'm thinking I may as well grab one of those fabled super-slim models. However, I am unfamiliar with even the regular slim, let alone the super-slim, so I have a few questions...

1) What's the easiest way to tell the difference between the two by eye, given I'm not so familiar with them? Any obvious differences I should keep an eye out for?

2) The local games store here has some in glass display cases, and some in boxes. Did the super-slim ones come in a distinct packaging to make it wasy to tell which is which?

3) Whilst I have no immediate plans to mod the thing, are there any issues in that regard that I should be aware of? And do the various softmods work?

Thanks

The "super slim" are all SCPH-90000, while the older model is SCPH-70000-79000. If you want to get the newer one but also soft mod it with Free McBoot at some point then ensure that the datecode (on the sticker on the underside with the SCPH- code) is 8B or older, since some 8C (hence it's a gamble at that point) have it blocked due to a newer BIOS, and all 8D onwards have the soft mod blocking BIOS, and should therefore be avoided.

All models prior to SCPH-90000 will be compatible, and since there unfortunately there isn't any way to tell date code from the box itself, if you buy a new one I'd advise you to look for an SCPH-79000 or older (as rare as these may be brand new, at this point). Unless you can somehow get them to unbox it and check for you, that is...

When you get them out of the box, you will of course see that the newer model is smaller overall, and lacks vents at the front of the system (which the older one had), meaning that the right portion of the front is completely smooth (other than the two USB ports, that is). The newer model has the power supply integrated, while the older ones have an external power brick, which should be one of the more readily visible differences. Also, the left half of the top casing on SCPH-90000 is made of a smooth plastic, while on the older one there is only a thin strip in the middle (with the "PS2" logo) like this, with the left half being a rougher matte black.

As for telling them apart from the box, although the SCPH- code will be printed on the box itself (on the "top" side), the box design is different; the very first slims (SCPH-70000 of "v12") had a yellow box like this, SCPH-70000 (later "v13" version) to SCPH-79000 had a white one like this, while the newest SCPH-90000 is white also but has a different graphic on the front, like this. But if you find it hard to remember the box graphic differences, then just check the top for the code.
    Last edited by Breadboy; 19-12-2010, 13:27.

Comment

Comprehensive post there, cheers. Don't care about freemcboot though. Wonder how hard a chip install would be..

Mars Pro might be in order.
      Last edited by speedlolita; 19-12-2010, 14:09.

Comment

Thanks for that, should be able to figure it out with that information. It sounds like the main difference is the internal power brick though, if the console itself is the same size, then it's not the end of the world if I can't find a super-slim.

Comment

I'd suggest _at least_ making sure to get a slim one SCPH-75000 or higher as 70000 were naff, need the romeo mod out of the box really.

Not had any problems with my own mind, but if you did decide to get a chip installed it's just another thing to hassle over.

Comment

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

One thing did occur to me - is the PSU in the super-slim multi-voltage? If not, I might actually be better off getting a model with an external power supply for when I return to the UK.

Comment

J0e claims that it is, but I'm not so sure myself. That said, he does own one.

That clearly shows that they're not multi voltage though, so yeah maybe a 7*000 would be best for you. I'm pretty sure the external PSU on them is 100-240v also so you'd just need a UK power cable like you'd plug into a UK fatty PS2.

Comment

Are there problems with slims overheating?

Comment

Nah, some people say so but that's because they don't allow any ventilation.

Comment

I just did a quick Google search and found a topic at AVForums with pictures of both models of slims, it seems the differences are quite striking.

They also claim it's multivoltage. I have an American PS3, and despite only claiming to be 110v on the back of the console, it is indeed multivoltage. So the back of the console does lie sometimes. I guess I'll just see what they have.

Comment

those slim ps2s are just lovely

Comment

Makes me want to order a SCPH-90006 from Renchi..

Comment

Working...
                        X