Laptop Advice Needed Urgently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Advice Needed Urgently

Well as my old Laptop is slow as hell and frequently hangs on any program even slighly demanding, I decided to finally invest in a new one. ?350 was my limit really, as it's not for gaming... more Vids, Web browsing etc.

I ordered this one earlier (paid a little extra on top of budget as I thought, and I know very little really, that the specs were quite decent for the price)

With Intel Pentium laptops you get great performance combined with amazing value for money. Get your Intel Pentium laptop with finance available and next day delivery.

However I'm now freaking out that I could've got a better machine for my money, in particular this..

Discover top laptop brands like Acer, Apple, ASUS, HP, and Lenovo at unbeatable prices here at Comet. Express delivery and Pay in 3 options available.

Educated opinions please, as it's not too late for me to cancel the Ebuyer Asus purchase, and ?380 is A LOT of money for me

The acer will be faster, but I've never been a fan of their build quality, however I'd probably plump for it just because of the much better CPU.

Comment

I'd go for the Asus because Acer have horrible software, horrible build quality and trackpads should be central to the laptop imo.

I'd go for a Thinkpad myself though, ahooo.

Comment

I have a very similar acer to that one and I think it's a great machine. The build quality is on the light side but not too bad. The only issue I have with it is the **** mouse buttons but than can be got around with a usb mouse. Not a bad buy at all I'd say.

Comment

Can't complain for the money, everyone should use an external mouse with laptops always! I'd always buy an hp personally because I like their styling and most of them are very understated looking.

I've worked in an acer laptop repair centre before and I can tell you it wasn't fun at all. They are indeed very plasticky.

To be honest it's not a great deal better and the probably share a fair few components so the Asus would be fine also for what you stated its usage is going to be.

The Asus will definitely have a higher build quality.

Comment

Hmmm interesting... if there's really not a great difference in performance then I may just stick with the Asus, build quality is always important with something that's inevitably going to get bumped about a bit

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
              I'd always buy an hp personally because I like their styling and most of them are very understated looking.
              Thinkpad.

"omg that's so ugly"

"good"

Comment

someone mentioned in one of my questions threads about a new chipset or something coming in january

Comment

Dude don't worry about it, new tech is released weekly. You could wait forever if you wanted.

Comment

There's a new chipset out but it'll probably take a while to roll out to the low end laptops. Only been announced for the upper mid to high end laptops at the moment.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys, in the end I cancelled and plumped for this instead...

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...c=&oc=N00n5051

Hopefully I made a wiser choice than the Acer or Asus, will soon find out
                      Last edited by Oh_Mutants; 29-12-2010, 13:12. Reason: Link fixed (hopefully)

Comment

Link doesn't seem to work.

IMO tho HP or Dell will be a wiser choice than Asus or Acer.

Comment

Fixed, i think

Comment

Working...
                          X