PAL Dreamcast, discs wont read.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL Dreamcast, discs wont read.

I hooked up my Dreamcast (its been sitting in my cupboard, untouched), to find that it doesnt seem to be reading any discs. I cant even hear the disc spinning. When I open the lid, the disc is dead still, which leads me to beleive that the disc is not spinning when the lid is closed. Any ideas? Its a launch day PAL Dreamcast.

Dan.

If the disk isnt spinning then its most likely the lid switch is at fault, try placing a reasonably heavy book on top and see if the disk starts spinning then (You should be able to hear it)

If the disk does start spinning then its definitely the lid switch and it can be repaired in a few different ways, although without taking it apart the only way would be to try using some compressed air near the switch to blow out any dust/dirt (Make sure to keep the can upright at all times to prevent liquid coming out, only move the Dreamcast console itself)

Comment

If the disc ain't spinning then it's probably as Link83 described. I've had two used consoles before getting my current one that didn't work laser wise and the disc still spun up.

Comment

So after placing some heavy books on the lid, I can hear whirring. If I place my hand lightly on the lid, I can feel some vibrations. So the disc seems to be spinning inside. Unfortunately, it will wont read my discs, how sad Its been through some awesome times over the many years I have had it.

Comment

Could try adjusting the laser value.. Sounds like it's dead though.

Comment

Could somebody with no experience in taking appart a console, fix a dead laser? How much do unboxed loose dreamcasts go for these days?

Cheers for the help btw.

Comment

Yeah, most likely. http://www.ilovetheinternets.com/200...bration-trick/

A loose Dreamcast is like £15 - 25 these days.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                Yeah, most likely. http://www.ilovetheinternets.com/200...bration-trick/

A loose Dreamcast is like ?15 - 25 these days.
                Ace, I shall bare that in mind for future reference. Im going to try and equal that Ferret!

Comment

Originally posted by redstar_dan View Post
                  Ace, I shall bare that in mind for future reference. Im going to try and equal that Ferret!
                  If you try to adjust the pot its best if you have a multimeter to measure the ohm value before and after adjustment, but if you dont be sure to make absolutely tiny turns/adjustments (fractions of a milimeter) almost so little that you cant tell if you have turned the screw will often work, and you'll need to test it again after each turn. If you turn the pot too far the laser will burn out completely, but its still worth trying. Alternatively you can still buy replacement lasers for the Dreamcast, although which laser you need depends on your drive model.

Oh and if you dont fully re-assemble the console for each test be sure not to accidentally touch the power supply (First time I repaired one I got a nasty shock from the PSU when my arm brushed past the top!) and dont look anywhere near the laser whilst its turned on - it could permanently damage you eyes.
                  Last edited by Link83; 05-01-2011, 00:15.

Comment

I placed a freshly removed PS2 PSU on a dirty metal plasterer's board. This is a metal surface.. Blew me arms to the sides! Aha.

Should be more careful in future really..

Comment

Before you try all that I'd give the lens a clean with a q-tip soaked in alcohol.

My DC would often not read discs after it had been left off for a while. The ol' q-tip method worked everytime for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X