PC to Mac Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC to Mac Switch

Just took the plunge and ordered myself a macbook pro to replace my laptop.

Never used a mac in earnest before as have always been a Windows person

I have an iPhone, how easy is it to sync up with the mac without loosing all my contacts from the phone?

What good mac sites should I look at whilst I am waiting for its arrival?

Macupdate is a good resource for software, macrumors is good for news, troubleshooting etc.

For tweaks and improvements some things to consider adding would be;

BetterTouchTool, I used this when I had a magic mouse and now use it in conjunction with my apple trackpad, takes a very good device and makes it great! Add your own custom gestures, like opening and closing tabs in Safari, closing windows and programs etc.

Caffine, handy little app for over-riding power saving options, I've used this much more than I thought I would.

Perian I use this to playback .flv files through Quicktime X and .mkv through Quicktime 7.

Flip4Mac Playback .wmv content through Quicktime, free for playback only, have to purchase if you want to convert files from .wmv to say .mov.

Comment

Cheers

Got it now, glad I made the switch, just need to get used to the differences now.

What's the best RAR extractor?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeF View Post
        Cheers

Got it now, glad I made the switch, just need to get used to the differences now.

What's the best RAR extractor?
        UnRarx for rar

7zx for 7zip

forgot to mention appcleaner, very handy tool for removing apps and their associated preference files. Drop the app icon into it, it finds the associated stuff. Click delete to move to trash and then empty trash as normal. Can also remove widgets and prefpane and plugins.

Comment

I beg to differ. The Unarchiver handles just about any compressed file. When you double click/open the file it extracts and bins the archive.

Lifehacker keep a good list of programs for all platforms. Here's the 2010 Mac list:

Looking to beef up your Mac with a few great—and free—apps that cover a whole lot of your productivity and computing needs? Our annual Lifehacker Pack

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat View Post
            I beg to differ. The Unarchiver handles just about any compressed file. When you double click/open the file it extracts and bins the archive.

Lifehacker keep a good list of programs for all platforms. Here's the 2010 Mac list:

http://lifehacker.com/5562864/lifeha...-mac-downloads
            Thanks Pat.

I never knew of unarchiver, looks ideal as it handles all the things I'd want to extract from. I have now replaced UnRarX and 7zx with this all in one solution.

Comment

I like that unarchiver, just set it up. Going to delete unrarx now as this does everything I need it too

Comment

The Unarchiver's quite a well-kept secret for some reason. I don't know why because it's by far the best app for the task.

Comment

Software I use daily or near daily:

Alfred
                  Dropbox
                  1Password
                  Mplayer Extended
                  Postbox (Free Express Version)
                  Transmit
                  X Lossless Decoder (XLD)
                  Dropcopy
                  Espionage
                  Growl
                  Printopia

Comment

Getting to grips with the Apple way now, don't think I will ever go back to a PC at home now.

Going to see if I can get work to replace my Laptop with a Macbook too

Comment

Unarchiver is a nice, low-resource solution but it has problems with some newer password protected rar files - best to keep it and UnRarX rather than relying solely on Unarchiver.

Comment

Just to throw another name out there, I use Keka for un-archiving stuff, it hasn't let me down yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X