Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Personal email address via gmail apps - anyone tried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal email address via gmail apps - anyone tried?

You have to reroute the DNS/MX settings on your host or something, but doesn't sound too tricky. Then lets you access your email on the web in gmail and on Androids etc.

Currently I use IMAP to achieve a similar sort of thing, but IMAP support in MS Outlook is really weird.

Any oddness or particularly good things?

I use Google Apps for both my personal and business email. I can't remember the specifics of the setup other than it was quick and easy to do using the instruction provided by Google for the MX record. Once your domain points to Google Apps the dashboard for managing Users is slick and straight forward to administer.

Comment

Thanks dude. I'll probably switch to this when I get a new phone.

Comment

I use normal GMail but it operates as though I'm using my personal email address. No need to faff around with google apps. Works with my Android too and I have all my work outlook stuff synching with google too sop that on my Android the contacts and calendars are in sync with outlook but without to the need to actually sync against outlook IYSWIM.

If you're interested ion working this way let me know and I'll post details.

Comment

Heh, not sure if I do know what you mean. How does it work? And how do you sync your contacts in outlook with gmail? Any details appreciated.

Comment

Ah, actually I only sync my outlook calendar with google calendar, not contacts.
            For that I use the official - Google Calendar Sync

For the email, go to gmail.com and log in, go to Settings and go to the tab that says "Accounts and Import". In there you'll see an option to "Send Mail As", just fill in the details. Then of course you need to have your proper personal email forwarded to your GMail account to finish the process off.

Comment

Ah of course That sounds rather easy.

Comment

Working...
              X