Router Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Router Recommendation

I have a D-Link DIR-855 at the moment and it has to the worst PoS i have ever used. Before i had this i had a reliable Linksys with dd-wrt, but when that one died after many years of use i bought this.

So i was hoping you guys could recommend me one to replace this one that has 2.4/5ghz, DD-WRT compatibility and is a reasonable price. Don't want to go in blind again. Going to sell the DIR-855 to pay for it.

Thanks

What do you need? DSL/Cable? Wireless G/N, gigabit etc?
    After having a Draytek I don't think I could use anything else consumer oriented.

Comment

You could have a look at the WNR3500L, netgear sold it as an opensource router back in 2009, so installing dd-wrt, tomato or openwrt should be straight forward. It still has good support from the community, check out http://www.myopenrouter.com/ for more info.
      Apart from netgear, i think buffalo has a couple of routers that can be flashed with dd-wrt via official tools, since some of their routers used to have a rebranded version of dd-wrt. I would go for the netgear, if i were to use dd-wrt. But personally i would get a billion router.

Comment

Its for a 10mb cable modem. Would be G/N and gigabit.

Also will check that out Cornflakes!

Comment

Bah, looked into that WNR3500L and it only supports 2.4ghz.

Comment

Last thing i hear was that buffalo will be releasing the WZR-HP-AG300H soonish, it is already out in japan. This router has 5/2.4GHZ, that you seek and runs on dd-wrt. Don't know if you want to wait, because it is hard to tell when it is coming to the UK.

Else, linksys E3000 maybe? not sure if it does both band simultaneously.

Comment

Acually went for the WNR3500L after. Managed to find one at a decent price for £55 on ebay. When i looked at my router setup, i forgot i even disabled 5ghz. So i probably never have had used it anyway.

Is there a website to compare all these open source firmwares?
              Last edited by SuperBeatBoy; 06-02-2011, 23:04.

Comment

Working...
              X