Switches for MD 60hz mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switches for MD 60hz mod

I'm looking for switches suitable for a 50/60hz megadrive 2 mod. Are the above ones suitable or are they a bit on the big side?

Also, am I right in thinking that cutting the trace in the link below will give permanent 60hz and the switch is only necessary in order to go back to 50hz?

Thanks.
    Last edited by moonwhistle; 18-02-2011, 17:24.

And yes, you need a DPDT switch x2. I'd get toggle switches personally, sliders are a bugger to fit neatly.

Comment

Yes I saw the mmmonkey page but found theses instructions alot clearer.

http://www.retrocorner.net/index.php?Mods_%2F_repairs:Megadrive_2_50%2F60_hz_ switch_-_page_1

I'm just gonna try the 60hz mod as it's my first time and easier than the region switch. Toggle switches may be easier to fit but I hate the look of them. Maybe I can hide it somewhere on the console. They looks rubbish sticking out the top imo.
      Last edited by moonwhistle; 18-02-2011, 20:16.

Comment

That's a good ebay seller that is, very helpful chap if you need stuff.

Yeah, my guide on mmmonkey for the MD2 is a right mess, I tried to follow it myself a while back and got in a muddle, I don't have the gumption to update anymore though :-(

I like the guides on retro corner also, very nice

Pete

Comment

Well I did the 60hz MD2 mod as outlined on the retro corner page. This was my first time soldering and despite my horrific lack of skill and messy job, to my suprise and elation the 60hz switch actually works.

The only problem is sometimes when I flick into 60hz or boot in 60hz the game will skip / reset for a couple of seconds before loading properly. This isn't normal as my other modded megadrive has an instant smooth transition. I'm guessing one of the connections might be dodgy, although can't see anything obvious. Is there any way to tell what I've done wrong?

Thanks.
          Last edited by moonwhistle; 25-02-2011, 12:07.

Comment

Working...
          X