Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DTL-H30001 and HDLoader/Advance- basic setup advice

Hello,

A few weeks ago I managed to finally get a new TEST PS2 (DTL-H30001E) and I also got a network adapter yesterday. I'd like to install my PS2 collection to a hard drive to save the TEST's optical drive from wearing out with repeated use but I had a few questions about achieving the best possible setup with what I have.

Ideally I'd like to buy as large a hard drive as I can afford and I'm aware that sadly most WD IDE drives won't be able to connect to the network adapter without modification. With this in mind, I was wondering if it was worth buying a HDD from the HDLoader site at the same time as the software or if there were better deals for a compatible drive elsewhere.

Secondly, I was wondering how the HDLoader software behaves with a TEST PS2. Does it still play multi-regional content from the hard drive? I'd like to rip NTSC-U/J games with my PC and FTP them over to the PS2 via the network adapter to avoid using the PS2's optical drive. The HDLoader site states:

It is not possible to install a game over a network - it is only possible to install a game from a disc inserted into your Playstation 2 DVD drive.
    With this in mind, would HD Advance be a better alternative, or is there extra software that I'd need? Speedlolita also mentioned having to use Swap Magic to boot HDLoader- would this require use of the slide card to change discs? A post about the DTL-H10000S here suggests that you can simply eject one disc for another- is this the same for the DTL-H30001E?

Sorry if the questions seem a bit basic- I'm a bit behind the curve with PS2 modification and reliable information about HDLoader with TEST machines seems to be understandably thin on the ground.
    Last edited by Decider-VT; 08-03-2011, 22:06.

I'm probably the only person you'll find using HDloader on a debug console.

In regards to swap magic and booting, no sliding. You put the elf on a compatible usb stick, then using the file browser copy the elf from the memory stick to slot 1 memory card so you dont always need to use the usb stick.

You cant install master disc games via hdloader menus, but you can ftp games. I believe retail discs install fine though regardless of region.

If you have any other stuff you want tested before you spend some $$ feel free to pm me.

I wouldnt worry too much about the laser though. Any £15ish 30000 series laser works perfectly.

Oh, and buy swap magic not hdloader. Hdloader is free.

Comment

Why risk damaging that special PS2?
      Any regular one will work even with dodgy/broken lasers. I use FreeMCboot - http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/
      I install the games using a PC/USB caddy but a network method is supported although I've never tried it and it is meant to be slow.
      Once on the HDD region coding isn't an issue.

I can install FreeMCboot if you send me a mem card.

Comment

Can't help with any of your questions. I use a messiah2 modded ps2 with hdloader but have found if a game has music etc as wav. files it won't rip those along with the game file. Can't remember what games that I have that where effected, but thought I'd let you know as you want to use your entire collection with it.

Comment

Damaging? How. :<

Comment

Wow, thanks for the answers guys.

Originally posted by smouty View Post
            Any regular one will work even with dodgy/broken lasers. I use FreeMCboot - http://freemcboot.psx-scene.com/
            I install the games using a PC/USB caddy but a network method is supported although I've never tried it and it is meant to be slow.

Thanks for offering to install FreeMCboot but I don't think it'd work with my console, as Speedlolita suggested in the acquisitions thread:

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
            I have to use Swap Magic to boot mine, as FreeMCBoot doesn't work on debug consoles.. lol
            I'd prefer to use the TEST for now, as opposed to my old PAL unit with the "farty" disc tray.

I'm probably the only person you'll find using HDloader on a debug console.

In regards to swap magic and booting, no sliding. You put the elf on a compatible usb stick, then using the file browser copy the elf from the memory stick to slot 1 memory card so you dont always need to use the usb stick.

You cant install master disc games via hdloader menus, but you can ftp games. I believe retail discs install fine though regardless of region.
            Thanks. I assume that the ELF is from HDLoader, as stated here? Are there particular versions of Swap Magic or HDLoader that are preferable, or are the latest ones generally OK? I wouldn't need to bother with master disc patching if the ISO is on the HDD though, right?

(Sorry, full of questions...)

Originally posted by spinpug666 View Post
            Can't help with any of your questions. I use a messiah2 modded ps2 with hdloader but have found if a game has music etc as wav. files it won't rip those along with the game file. Can't remember what games that I have that where effected, but thought I'd let you know as you want to use your entire collection with it.
            Interesting... does it not rip the soundtrack as part of a disc image?

Comment

Any swap magic is fine, will recommend 3.6 or 3.8 though. Any region too thanks to the TEST.

Correct about the patching thing also, no need for games on HDD.

Comment

Thanks again- will try to pick up either 3.6 or 3.8.

Any recommendations for a compatible hard drive?

Comment

Damaging? How. :<
                  You'll have to excuse my ignorance but I though some form of slide tool is required. I hadn't seen your post when I posted.
                  Anything that reduces laser wear too can only be a good thing.
                  Last edited by smouty; 08-03-2011, 16:01.

Comment

Ah. I agree that the slide tool isn't a good thing, I've never used it myself - used to have a slim when I used swap magic.

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                    Thanks again- will try to pick up either 3.6 or 3.8.

Any recommendations for a compatible hard drive?
                    Maxtor? The official Sony drives are Maxtor, my one is at least.

Comment

I went looking for them- apparently Maxtor was swallowed by Seagate. Not to worry- the 160GB Seagate ST3160215A on EBuyer looks like it fits the bill.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Decider-VT View Post
                        Interesting... does it not rip the soundtrack as part of a disc image?
                        Iirc it was a King of Fighters game I was playing that had the prob. Only a small % of games are effected. Stick a game into your pc drive to see what way things are organised. If the music files show up as cd tracks, abit like alot of ps1 and Saturn games then you'll have no music in the game cus hdloader won't read/copy them.

Comment

In which case just master a disc..

Comment

What do you mean by master a disc?

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post

Going to say the same thing. Just rip your games to an image file on the pc with imgburn,then install all your games from the pc to a usb(or connect the hard disk to your pc internally ) hard disk using winhiip .You just use winhiip to format the disk into a ps2 compatible version first.

The use your freemcboot on your memory card to load the completely free hdloader .

Very simple to do ,no need for any slide tools,swap magic crap or hard disc advance,which is the ripped off version of the free hdloader software.
                              Last edited by dosucol; 09-03-2011, 16:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X