Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will TATE mode break my Telly?

It just seems a little weird, I want to ... but I'm nervous

If it's a big and heavy TV, then yes. Definitely. If it's smaller then 'maybe'

I wouldn't risk it

Comment

Well given that most tubes are designed to be one way, it's possible that it could strain the tube holder and the tube could fall off. It's unlikely though, you are more likely to knock the shadow mask out of possition if you drop the TV and the TV may suffer from magnetic effects if you do rotate it (just switch it off for half an hour, should fix it).

14" TVs are less likely to do this tho... wouldnt recommend it for anything bigger then 20"...

Arcade monitors are normally bolted in place and can be either way as it's not straining on point any more then the other...

Comment

I TATE my 21? Sony Wega all the time. Of course isn?t televisions build for it, but I wouldn?t say its dangerous done carefully. Other says it?s not health for your telly.

Here?s a link that you might find informative:

How to rotate your tv/monitor without having distorted colors:

Comment

I don't have any problems at all.

Did I mention I use an LCD screen hooked up to the DC with a vga box?

Comment

Originally posted by mid
            I don't have any problems at all.

Did I mention I use an LCD screen hooked up to the DC with a vga box?
            That I wouldn?t dare (expensive LCD?s)

Comment

I think LCDs are fine for rotating. I'm not sure about plasmas

It's just CRTs that you shouldn't rotate because they're heavy and the tube support brackets can break

Comment

I tilt my Sony Wega 21" TV almost every time also. When I was playing Psyvariar, it was almost permanently sideways.
                Sometmes I just lay sideways to watch TV instead of turning it the right way again.

I'd say my own health is more at risk from constantly shifting a big TV sideways than that of the TV.

Comment

MD explained the technical reasons why you shouldn't rotate a TV. TVs are calibrated, assuming that you're going to use the set as designed.

Alternatively, why not just lie on your side? Seriously, I've done this when using TATE mode on my widescreen TV, it's a lot less hassle that rotating a great big bloody TV that could topple over at any moment.

Regards
                  Marty

Comment

I have a SONY 14" portable with a Trinitron screen that I've had for around 12 years. I've tated it so many times I've lost count, and the picture is still absolutely perfect whether it's horizontally viewed or vertically. I would say that a 14" portable (especially a SONY) is perfectly safe to rotate because there isn't a lot of mass/weight in them, so gravity is a lot kinder. The only problem I ever experienced was not leaving a long enough delay before turning it on in it's new orientation. If you don't give it half-an-hour, you'll get some nasty colours all over the place.

LCD? Pah. Tried that. CRTs own LCDs for playing arcade-style videogames on. LCDs are still too blurry on their refresh, even the new ones. Playing a 60fps shooter on an LCD is no fun (they're alright for adventure games though hehe).

Comment

Trinitrons... Or whichever ones it is that hang from wires on the screen. Don't turn them sideways because the phosphor falls off into the tube.
                      Many LCD's are designed to be flipped, e.g. for using Word and other documents. My dad has an app that autoflips Windows when he pivots his LCD 90deg.
                      Plasmas as far as I aware will completely screw up.

Comment

depends what plasma you have, some can be mounted on the ceiling so I think those will be safe if you tilit them on their side.

Comment

To recap....

You can rotate LCD monitor as they don't have any parts which can screw up in a vertical position.

You can rotate most projectors as long as you don't cover any fan holes or it might get rather hot, bulb will blow, may catch fire. Some projectors (CRT ones, large heavy ones) should never be used in a rotated position or they will suffer and could cause future problems.

It's not a good idea to rotate any TVs as they aren't designed to operate in a vertical position.

The metal frame holding the CRT may not be strong enough and could colapse on large CRT TVs.

Trinitron screens (also Trinitron licenced displays) shouldn't be rotated, 14" ones should be fine but larger ones could get shifted out of position and it then will be fecked. The shadow mask could also fall off which would also feck the TV too.

Anything greater then 20" shouldn't be rotated as there is more chance of damage or injury.

CRTs can be effected by the earths magnetic field and the shadow mask is slightly magnetic to counter this effect. So if you rotate the TV and you get colour patterns on the screen, just turn the TV off for half an hour and switch it back on. This should degauss the screen and make sure the Shadow mask is magnetised for that position. If this fails to stop the coloured paterns (or they get worse) then put the TV back it's right place and switch it back on in half an hour. Not all TVs have a degaussing circuit (although the majority do...).

Make sure the TV can't fall over (as that could mess it up), make sure that the TV still has a good airflow going over it.

Plasma screens can be used in a vertical position however the wires that charge the Plasma screen could get stretch and damaged as there is more strain put on them.

Hope that helps...

Comment

Working...
                          X