Deadish Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadish Dreamcast

My dreamcast has sort of died, I went to play it but I'm just getting a black screen. The DC is powering up (the fan is going and the led is on) and the tv is also swtiching to AV mode. But I get no picture and no sound out.

It did display the dreamcast logo once when I switched my dvd player on at the same time, but it disappeared after a couple of seconds.

Can anyone help?? Please!

I think this is a common fault if I remember correctly. Something about the metal pins connecting the power board to the mainboard needing a good clean. Sadly I'm unable to help further as my DC hasn't given up on me yet. Anyone else had this problem? Help the dude out.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaipon
      I think this is a common fault if I remember correctly. Something about the metal pins connecting the power board to the mainboard needing a good clean. Sadly I'm unable to help further as my DC hasn't given up on me yet. Anyone else had this problem? Help the dude out.
      The cleaning metal pins solution is a fix for the problem whereby the DC continually resets whilst playing.

teacup's problem sounds different.

Comment

Sounds more like a problem with the lead rather than your DC. Can you try a different cable?

Comment

Originally posted by C'
          Originally posted by Vaipon
          The cleaning metal pins solution is a fix for the problem whereby the DC continually resets whilst playing.

teacup's problem sounds different.
          yeah, I already had that problem and sorted it out.

I'll have to dig out my dc box and try the original lead that came with it instead of the rgb scart.

Comment

Sounds pretty terminal to me. The graphics chip gives up and you are just left with a black screen. Dead dreamcasts make good bookends tho.

Comment

Cleaning the PSU contacts can solve this problem as it occured to one the DCs at Game On. Also make sure that all the leads are plugged in securely. Failing that just give it a whack that fixed it for me on time...

Comment

Originally posted by MD
                Failing that just give it a whack that fixed it for me on time...
                Greatest way to fix electronic goods ever.

Makes you feel dead proud of yourself as well

Comment

Interestingly I experienced the same problem last week. I can make out a faint shimmer of a picture but the screen is black, with sound. I took the scart lead apart and it seemed alright, but I've ordered another one which should be with me any day now. I assumed it was a cable problem. Guess I'll know for sure soon.

Let me know if you fix yours.

Cheers

Matt

Comment

Woooooo, I fixed it. Decided to open it up and have a rumage and managed to work out it the fan connector was really loose. I think the sensor cable wasn't connecting properly and was telling the system to shutdown even though the fan was running. A bit of soldering and it was sorted.

Originally posted by Chain
                    I can make out a faint shimmer of a picture but the screen is black, with sound.
                    This must be a different problem I think as I was getting no picture or sound what so ever.

Comment

I had exactly the same problem recently, to begin with I got the logo every now and again, but later every time I turned it on I got a black screen.

It was the psu connector cleaning problem (again).

I reckon you just tickled that when you took your machine apart...

Comment

Glad it's all sorted. Mine is fine with the new SCART lead

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                          I had exactly the same problem recently, to begin with I got the logo every now and again, but later every time I turned it on I got a black screen.

It was the psu connector cleaning problem (again).

I reckon you just tickled that when you took your machine apart...
                          Nope, it was definetly the fan cable, I had the machine open and running and just a little wiggle of the connector and the system burst into life. Let go of it and it died again.

Comment

ah, cool.

good as the DC is, it has too many of these hardware niggles.

shame, cause most of the components are very reliable.

Comment

Working...
                            X