New router recommendations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New router recommendations...

I've been thinking of getting a new router for a while, I have a Netgear DG834G at the minute and while it works fine, it's super slow for transferring files to and from my network drive.

Can I expect much of an upgrade in terms of speed if I change to a wireless N router? And will this still work with older connections, such as my iPhone 3GS which is wireless G I think? (other devices are a MacBook Pro and iPad 2 which both support wireless N).

Would be interested in getting gigabit ethernet too... so an idea of price range/ model would be great too!

Thanks.

Just bought this N router last week. Been perfect. I've been downloading wirelessly to the modem downstairs on the other side of the house at a constant 30Mbps without any dropouts.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation but that's not a router is it? I want something that's external and has ethernet ports, plus I wouldn't want my PC on all the time. (don't fully understand what that is you linked to, it just looks like a wifi card?).

Comment

Dont want to hijack this thread but I'd like to upgrade my router too. Currently got a Be Broadband Thomson TG585 v7 but want to upgade to wireless N speeds and gigabyte tech too.

Comment

Originally posted by Synthesthesia View Post
          Thanks for the recommendation but that's not a router is it? I want something that's external and has ethernet ports, plus I wouldn't want my PC on all the time. (don't fully understand what that is you linked to, it just looks like a wifi card?).
          Haha **** I didn't read the question properly. My apologies!

Can't help you on the router front seeing as I use the Virgin superhub.

Comment

Haha no bother mate, thanks for trying to help! Hopefully some other kind soul can recommend something

Comment

Don't get a Linksys.

Heard good things about Billion and Draytek, but obviously expensive. One of the Billion's has support for ADSL and Cable. Or there's a Netgear if you are comfy with your previous one.

Comment

Are there any Netgear routers which are wake-on-LAN compatible? Exactly how good are these Billion and Draytek? Are any of those WOL compatible?
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I upgraded a while back to the Billion 7404VNPX: http://au.billion.com/product/voip/bipac7404vnpx.php

- 802.11n
                  - 3G (optional with plug-in dongle)
                  - VOIP with PSTN fixed line support
                  - Gigabit LAN

I upgraded from the Netgear DG834G and a Belkin model I got with my ISP when I got VOIP. All I can say is it was worth the upgrade. It's on 24/7 and never misses a beat. VOIP if you need it is crystal clear and easily configurable.

Wifi range is excellent. It beats the old Netgear by a huge margin being N rated. I had a hard job getting my phones working on it from range (upstairs through concrete floors) but this connects and gets a good 60-70%... then since recently getting iPhone4 and everything being N rated I've turned it onto N-only and it's even better.

My PC is connected via Gigabit LAN and it flies and Xbox LIVE has never skipped a beat either (always open NAT).

In fact... no complaints all round from me. Just whether you want VOIP or not, there are lesser models in their range as well.

Comment

I just bought the Buffalo AirStation Wireless N in Japan, and it's fantastic.

Comment

I've just bought that http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller= .

It's got some glowing reviews, and only one guy complaining about speed to do with G devices, everything I'm connecting is N...

And looking at the price difference of getting it with gigabit ethernet it just wasn't worth it to me...and the wireless n+ 100mb ethernet should serve me fine to be honest. My current router manages streaming HD video from my NAS to my PS3 so I'm sure this'll be just fine!

Unless any of you guys have had bad experiences with this brand?

Comment

I just got the router today, I've set it all up got it working etc.

My mac says the link rate is 144mbit/s which I figure should mean i've got a transfer rate of around 18MB.

However when I'm transferring files it's pretty much the same as my old wireless G router... 2MB a second. I've tried turning the wireless mode to just N and changing the channel from 20/40mhz to just 20 but I can't figure out why it's so slow!

If anyone has any ideas that'd be great since the only reason I bought this was to upgrade those speeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Synthesthesia View Post
                          I just got the router today, I've set it all up got it working etc.

My mac says the link rate is 144mbit/s which I figure should mean i've got a transfer rate of around 18MB.

However when I'm transferring files it's pretty much the same as my old wireless G router... 2MB a second. I've tried turning the wireless mode to just N and changing the channel from 20/40mhz to just 20 but I can't figure out why it's so slow!

If anyone has any ideas that'd be great since the only reason I bought this was to upgrade those speeds...
                          same situation here actually. i think maybe other items in the house hold may be causing interference?

Comment

Have you got any 11g devices connected? If there are it'll slow the whole network down to g speeds.

If you're going to be mixing wireless standards you want a dual-band router, which will run a g and n network at the same time and everything will just connect to the best available option. Either that or turn your old g router into a basic access point (turn off the modem part, DHCP, NAT, etc) so that the old stuff won't slow it down.

Comment

Tis funny that 99% of the people who have N routers are probably getting G speeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X