Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Xbox BIOS - do I need to update it for N64 emulation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox BIOS - do I need to update it for N64 emulation?

I'm trying to get an N64 emulator running on my original Xbox. I've got it working on my second unit, but not my main first unit (which runs everything else).

The N64 emulator only runs on my second system, which is a back-up. My main system runs most things, but not the N64 emulator and some other things, like ports of Kenta Cho's games. It just hangs after I try to boot it from my new dash. According to this thread, it appears to do with having an older chip.

Sandman said:
    Tried to install a new dash, everything seemed to go through okay, however when I rebooted I got the normal retail dash. xcalibur nailed this down to my having the original enigmah chip, (installed as soon as the XBox was released in the UK), and suggested running all the xbes's in the surreal folder through an xbepatcher. Did this using C-XBox Tool 2 and now everything runs from disk (a DVD-RW).
    But it doesn't quite help with my problem... I think I need more explanation on this xbepatcher thing.

My main system was bought soon after mod-chips came out for the system, way back when. So it's very old. My back-up unit was bought 4 years ago, and the chip is all fancy with a little switchboard to disable it. I've no idea which chip the original system uses (eXecutor I think, maybe?).

* In order run N64 emulators, do I need to update the BIOS, or is the problem caused by something else, such as having an older motherboard in the unit?

* Is there an easy way to check which chip I have? I've got an alternative dash installed, plus XBMC.

* How do I update the BIOS? I have FTP access for the system if needed.

Cheers for any advice.

EDIT:
    Found this thread, which recommends BIOS updating, but I've also seen other threads elsewhere that say if you have an old chip from launch, DO NOT TOUCH THE BIOS... So now I don't know what to do. I don't want to bork my primary system, it's the workhorse of my games room.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 18-04-2011, 16:14.

My "standard" softmod Xbox plays N64 fine. I think it's a late 1.5 unit or something though. Don't know if that helps you.

Comment

After much digging through Sandman's posts on Snesorama I eventually stumbled across the following patcher:
      dx-dexbe-0.5.fixed.zip

A good should bring it up, it patches stuff on your Windows PC, prior to uploading to the N64. Turns out all my XBEs were debug, so I patched them (using that program) to "retail" and now it works.

Kinda wasted a topic really. Apologies! But maybe someone else will stumble across this.

This forum topic also helped (official "scene" forum, so no dodgy stuff):

Comment

Working...
      X