Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing faulty PS2 laser (phat system)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing faulty PS2 laser (phat system)

I've got an extremely early model of PAL PS2 and it's stopped reading DVD9 games, so I assume I need a new laser reader. Can anyone confirm if cleaning it with alcohol will do the trick instead?

I recall a topic a couple of years ago talking about replacing the laser, with links to where to buy new lasers, but can't find it now.

Which kind of laser reader do I need for an old model of PS2?
    Do different models of phat PS2 require different lasers?
    How much do they cost?
    How easy are they to replace? I've got all the needed screwdrivers and gas-powered soldering kit.

Any advice much appreciated.

EDIT:
    The system is Messiah chipped hence why I want to use it (playing imports). The DVD9 games in question are Siren 2 (PAL) and Sakura Wars (NTSC). Both are original discs, NOT back-ups. I'm guessing the chip won't prevent me from running commercial DVD9 discs, right?
    Last edited by Sketcz; 11-06-2011, 18:43.

You only need screwdrivers to replace the laser. If you take your PS2 apart then you can check the laser model. Lasers typically run at around ?15 I think.

Comment

Is it an SCPH-30003/4 by any chance? The different fat models do have different lasers... for SCPH-3000x, it's KHS-400B, and for those afterwards, it can be KHS-400C or HD7. If you have the SCPH-3000x model then it's simple and you can be sure that you will have a KHS-400B in there.

And if that is the case, this will do the job perfectly. I bought one and my system works like new.
      Last edited by Breadboy; 11-06-2011, 20:10.

Comment

I have a spare HD7 laser, for SCPH-5000x.

If anyone wants it they're welcome to it..

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the Messiah 1 doesn't support a dvd9 games in any shape or form. Had a mate who bought Gran Turismo 4 which wouldn't boot and he was told he needed to send his machine away to be re-modded with a different chip.

Prob worth a google

- Edit -
          Google finding, nothing set in stone....
          Last edited by Jei; 12-06-2011, 07:28.

Comment

It's SCPH-30003. For a fiver that looks ace. But it mentions calibration, which could otherwise damage the system. Is that true? How do I calibrate it?

I'm going to order this ASAP. Just what I was looking for, and cheap!

Originally posted by jeimuzu_uk View Post
            I'm pretty sure that the Messiah 1 doesn't support a dvd9 games in any shape or form. Had a mate who bought Gran Turismo 4 which wouldn't boot and he was told he needed to send his machine away to be re-modded with a different chip.
            Prob worth a google
            Different forums says different things unfortunately (doesn't help that there's different types of Messiah. For a fiver though it's worth getting the old girl working again anyhoo.

EDIT:

Trawling the net only brings up forums from back in the day where people argue heatedly over whether the Messiah can or can not boot DVD9 - each side swearing it can/can't.

Looks like it's pot luck. I'm going to order that laser, assuming the "calibration" is easy.
            Last edited by Sketcz; 12-06-2011, 07:33.

Comment

Try turning on your ps2 with no disc in and then click to go into the browser then put in your dvd9 based game.

If it comes up pretty quick and just recognises it as a DVD then I'd definitely say its your mod that isn't supporting it.

If it however continually tries to load it with no disc being recognised then I'd say its the laser.

Comment

Just bought the new laser.

Originally posted by jeimuzu_uk View Post
                If it however continually tries to load it with no disc being recognised then I'd say its the laser.
                It's this. The unit is PAL and it won't even load PAL DVD9 games like Siren 2 or Rogue Galaxy. It just says "trying to load disc". Worth repairing it anyway even if I can't get Sakura Wars to boot. Still, might be lucky.

Was watching this for calibration instructions:
                Sometimes, older "fatline" Playstation 2's can stop reading discs. This is due to the laser degrading over time. This video is just a quick guide on how to c...

Jesus! He switches it on with an exposed laser beaming out! Can't that make you blind?

Comment

It sure can, lol.

Well if it fails I've got a minty phat ps2 that works perfectly but has a loud fan and it def works with rogue galaxy!

Yours for the price of postage

Comment

All you will need to do is remove the black screw on the side from your old laser... the one which adjust the laser angle, since it does not include one, and put it on the new laser. That is all that I had to do.
                    Last edited by Breadboy; 12-06-2011, 11:36.

Comment

Ace, cheers for the replies chaps (and offer of the system James). Will let you know how it works out - laser is due in the post any day now.

Comment

My ps2 makes a horrendous drilling sound when I switch it on - disc or no disc. When I put a disc in, it makes the noise again, and only reads it sporadically. Is that a laser problem?

Comment

It sounds like the laser arm is worn. Have you opened the system up to take a look?

Comment

I haven't. I fear such activities! I once took the hoover apart to check a belt or something. It's still in the garage in bits.

Comment

You probably have a model with the plastic laser arm. It is more prone to clogging with dust etc. A quick clean and very light oil will sort it.

Youtube guides available.

Comment

Working...
                              X