Modded PAL PS2 slim not displaying JPN PS1 games properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modded PAL PS2 slim not displaying JPN PS1 games properly

Hi, I believe the chip in my PStwo is a Matrix Infinity. It plays import PS2 games happily, but when I tried some PS1 games the other day, I had heavy screen flicker on my CRT and screen rolling on the Plasma. The games ran fine on my old chipped PAL PS1 machine. Anybody know what the problem is?

I had a ps2 that freaked out with other region ps1 games. It's probably trying to output PAL resolution at 60hz of vice versa and is freaking out your plasma with an unsupported resolution/refresh rate.

If you can hear anything , then everything sounding faster or slower than normal is a good indication of this.

See if there are any special boot options for that chip, I think holding triangle on boot or holding the power button inns particular fashion brings up a special menu for some chips

Comment

I had a ps2 that freaked out with other region ps1 games. It's probably trying to output PAL resolution at 60hz of vice versa and is freaking out your plasma with an unsupported resolution/refresh rate.

If you can hear anything , then everything sounding faster or slower than normal is a good indication of this.

See if there are any special boot options for that chip, I think holding triangle on boot or holding the power button inns particular fashion brings up a special menu for some chips

Comment

Hold triangle and square on boot for options.

Comment

I have a similar problem, but mine will play NTSC PS1 games perfectly, but the PAL games won't show a thing at all. Apparently it's my TV's scaler not being up to the job, but it also means I can't play ICO as it's sub HD! Mines a matrix infinity too, no matter what options I play with, I can't get them working... Very irritating!

Comment

I believe the problem is nothing to do with the Matrix Infinity. My unmodded PStwo does the same when its connected via Component.

Put in a PS1 game on my Sony 37" LCD and it loses picture / messes it up......connect the crappy composite leads that come with the console and you'l probably find, like me, that it'l work first time.

As has been said, many TV scalers even on brand new TV's can't handle/aren't programmed to deal with the resolution thats outputted on PS1 games via Component.

I gather it is connected via Component right?

Comment

240p via component. Tried an RGB cable MrKirov?

Comment

I don't think this is a TV issue, as the import PS1 games don't display properly on my CRT via RGB Scart or on my Plasma via either RGB Scart or Component. I tried the Composite cable on the CRT just in case but the picture still flickers. Import PS2 games display fine on both TVs, as do PAL PS1 games.

Comment

In that case I'd boot into the Matrix Infinitys Menu and see if "PSX Screenfix" is enabled.

If it is, disable it, if it isn't, enable it!

Then try again but I'd use your normal composite leads on either TV to test first

Comment

I can't seem to access the mod chip menu. The instructions that came with the machine say hold Triangle & Circle on boot up but nothing happens. Same when I tried speedlolita's suggestions of Triangle and Square.

Comment

Try this......Only have 1 controller connected to port 1. Hold Triangle and Circle on the Controller with the machine turned off, keep them held then turn it on.

Sorry if that sounds like sucking eggs but iirc they need to be held before the machine is turned on and kept held until the menu comes on

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
                        240p via component. Tried an RGB cable MrKirov?
                        No, I haven't got one

Comment

not had any issues with my modified ps2 playing any region ps1 games but its modified with messiah chip, i did however have to take it apart and remove the rgb fix as it wouldn't output in component.

Comment

Working...
                          X