Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.1 audio only?

I was wondering if anyone could help me as myself and hardware do not mix

I recently brought the Summer Wars/The Girl Who Leapt Through Time Blu-ray double pack. According to the box The Girl Who Leapt Through Time has both 5.1 and 2.0 options, yet when I go to select the audio track there are only 5.1 options. Is that likely that my PS3 settings have done it (I've checked via HDMI e.t.c.), or do some Blu-rays only display the 5.1 options in the menu, yet play in 2.0 anyway?

An additional question for anyone that knows the set - the box and menu both say it supports 5.1 audio, yet my decoder box/headset won't pick it up. According to a few websites it has no 5.1 option, only Dolby Digital TrueHD (which my headset won't pick up). What's up with this?

(Just an idea) Change your PS3 setting to the following:-
    PS3 Settings
    Video Settings
    BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) (assuming you are using HDMI)
    Choose Bitstream if it is not already selected

Do you have an AV amp? where are the headphones being plugged into?

In my experience blurays and DVDs always show 2.0 during the menu system, when the film kicks in it reverts to 5.1 or DTS. Some BD's have menus in DD 5.1 then the films goes to DTS. strange!

Comment

Quite often you'll have one language in 2.0 and another in 5.1. Maybe you are choosing the dub which was recorded in 2.0

Comment

I will go and give those settings a try now! My headphones are actually the Tritton AX Pro headset plugged into the included decoder box. The Dolby Digital light turns on as it should for 5.1 games, but as soon as I put the disk on it just goes back to having the Pro Logic light on instead (if that makes any sense at all).

@Boris I did wonder that, but on the audio menu the only options are English 5.1 HD and Japanese 5.1 HD.
        Last edited by Nocturne; 16-07-2011, 11:28.

Comment

Is the decoder box plugged into the TV or the PS3?

If it is the PS3 then you need to change the PS3 audio priority to Optical and not HDMI in the PS3 sound settings.

You will also to repeat the steps in my original post and choose bit stream for BD / DVD Audio Output Format (optical)

Just stuff to try!
          Last edited by 'Press Start'; 15-07-2011, 17:30.

Comment

What 'Press start.... said.

Also, the 2.0 probably refers to bonus content.

Comment

The decoder box is plugged into my PS3 via optical cable. I've tried the settings you mentioned and have still the menu is only showing 5.1 options, so I'm thinking it could just be an odd Blu-ray. Thank you so much for trying to help, though!

Comment

After switching to optical, did you check the box next to 'Dolby Digital 5.1Ch' on the following screen? Try checking that one, and leaving everything else unchecked. Then your PS3 will convert every audio signal to ordinary DD5.1.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturne View Post
                  The decoder box is plugged into my PS3 via optical cable. I've tried the settings you mentioned and have still the menu is only showing 5.1 options, so I'm thinking it could just be an odd Blu-ray. Thank you so much for trying to help, though!
                  No worries, after doing what alex suggests make sure you go into the film not just the menu just to double check the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex WS View Post
                    After switching to optical, did you check the box next to 'Dolby Digital 5.1Ch' on the following screen? Try checking that one, and leaving everything else unchecked. Then your PS3 will convert every audio signal to ordinary DD5.1.
                    Even DTS?

Comment

I assume so, but it might be wise to include Linear PCM 5.1 to be sure.

Comment

Why would you need linear PCM 5.1 ticked if you are changing the settings to bitstream and using an optical cable?

Optical cannot transfer uncompress 5.1, only HDMI 1.3 and above can.

I could be wrong though

Comment

No, you're totally right. I thought it would transfer it at a lower bitrate (thus not uncompressed :P), but it's not an option. And as the Tritton won't accept DTS signals, those are out of the question. So on discs with only DTS tracks, you will be left with 2 channel PCM.

Comment

Working...
                          X