Mame/Emus for Dreamcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mame/Emus for Dreamcast

Just been on a DC emulation site and i'm really confused.

I want mame on my DC, with the metal slugs and some shooters, but i'm really unsure what exactly to download, i've got the roms (and the original boards, of course...), but I need some advice/direct links from people more in the know!

Essentially, does anyone have a link to the files I need to burn to a cd in order to run mame, and can I burn the roms to the same cd?

You won't get links to emu stuff from this forum.

On a technical note, the DC had a limited memory capacity, so a good majority of titles won't actually run on the DC under MAME because it doesn't have the capacity. I'm not sure if the first Metal Slug comes under this umbrella or not, but if it's a large ROM dump, than the likelihood is it won't. The later certainly won't due to their size.

You should be able to find an iso of the emu fairly easily, as you don't need the ROMs on the same CD. You can simply swap the discs over once it's booted and rescan. You might also find that the current ROM sets are named slightly differently than MAME DC requires. They changed in a recent release of MAME, and I wouldn't think that MAME DC has been keeping pace at the same rate.

Hope that is of some help.

Regards
    Marty

Comment

Ah, thanks for that marty -

I was just trying to justify a new use for my dc sticks - and i'm really after getting the ms games running on it.

I've just downloaded A Snes emulator, i'm assuming that if I burn my roms and the emu using nero, I can just boot the disc up and it will run automatically? Something tells me it won't be as simple as that...

Comment

You'd need to make the disc self booting if want to just slap the CD in the DC. There are programs on the DC homebrew sites that'll do this for you (by creating an ISO image from your files), but the process is a bit messy.

You can just burn the binaries on to the CD and use a boot disc, such as Utopia or Action Reply, and it should run fine. You'll need to make sure that any ROMs are placed in the right directory, so read the readme.txt carefully.

Regards
        Marty

Comment

The SNES emu (DREAM SNES) runs about 60-70% speed, with ****ty sound. The MAME emu runs some games fine (Kicker, Pacman) but don't expect anything beyond 1985 to run well at all.

The best emu for the Dreamcast has to be DreamSpec (ZX Spectrum emulator). Relive those heady days of colour-clash!

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG
            You won't get links to emu stuff from this forum.
            you mean roms, or emulators aswell?

Almost all DC homebrew is entirely legal, developed without official Sega SDKs. No harm in linking to them.

Comment

Working...
            X