Improving Wireless Router strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving Wireless Router strength

I'm having some problems with my router, the strength of it isn't that good. I've tried changing the channel but that doesn't seem to do anything. I have the router in one bedroom and i'm trying to improve it on a downstairs room, not much that distance tbh. Can't really work it out.

You can often buy beefier aerials to boost the signal, it's probably more down to interference more than anything.

Download inssider and you can scan and see what channels your neighbours are using, it helps to find a channel that is unoccupied.

If you have a wireless N router, see if it has a 5ghz mode (although compatibility is often restricted, my iphone won't work on that frequency for example)

also if you have a wireless N router, try turning it down to a slower speed or disabling the N altogether.

Comment

My mate had a neat trick, you use a powerline with a multi output and have wired accessible but the option to have a wireless booster point for those things htat couldn't be hardwired and of course extending the wireless. This was however in a large house that required them to need this.

Comment

Check the positioning of the router. Even something like moving it away from a wall, sticking it under a desk rather than on top (or vice versa) can have a major impact on signal strength.

Comment

This is one of the reasons I have to use powerlines in our living room, something behind the wall is killing the wireless signal. With the xbox up against that wall its the only way I can get the network to reliably connect. I spent a while trying to narrow down why it was failing thinking it was just the wireless box I was using. Prior to the powerline I had my laptop out in the room (away from the wall dead zone) and then had it hardwired and used a network bridge of course that was a bit of a ****e way of getting it to work :P

Comment

Working...
          X