PS2 freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS2 freezing

My V0 SCPH-10000 PS2 has started randomly freezing. It first happened today when I left a game paused for about 10 minutes, and now it seems to last about a minute after boot up before it happens. I still get sound, but the picture just hangs forever. The only time it doesn't happen is if I run my Free McBoot memory card. As soon as I exit out to the browser or try to run a disc it happens. Can anybody shed any light? It's not a build up of dust as I've just opened it up and it's as dust free as it was in 2000. I've played it for less than 30 hours in the last eleven years, so I wouldn't have thought it was knackered from overuse either.
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 27-07-2011, 20:18.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Do you have another PS2 you use for gaming, out of curiosity.

Something GPU related perhaps.? Seems to be an anomaly. Perhaps ask over on assemblergames.

Is it fine if you don't run a disc? Have you lightly cleaned the laser?

Comment

I have a 50000 that I use mostly. It's only for BB Unit stuff (Capcom Vs. SNK 2, Ace Combat 04, KOF 98 online etc) that the 10000 gets used.It happens even if I don't run a disc, sometimes I don't even get as far as the memory card screen. Only time it doesn't happen is if I boot into my Free McBoot card. Seems really odd. I'll leave it be for a few days and see what happens, and then I'll hit up assembler I guess.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

The fan def working?

Comment

Definitely. This unit looks brand new. I have taken extremely good care of it over the years. I just don't get it.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

You've seen inside those early PS2s. About a dozen PCBs and a mile of interconnects.
            Basically a lot to go wrong but sounds like overheating.
            Maybe some thermal paste is required.

Comment

Seems likely I suppose, but where do I apply the thermal paste? It weighs about 2kg and there's more shielding than in Camelot.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
              X