Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What scart cable do I need for an RGB modded US N64?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What scart cable do I need for an RGB modded US N64?

So I bought an RGB modded N64 on here around a year back, and it's been awesome so far, but the sound has gone all wonky so I'm in need of a new scart lead. I understand you can't just grab any old cable, but it has to be modded somehow. Can anyone help me track down one of these somewhere? I don't have the skillz to mod the cable myself sadly...

Any info would be much appreciated.

Pop the casing of the old cable open and see what's in it.

It its pretty empty then a GameCube RGB will do the job.

If it's got some home made circuitry then it's a bit more complicated as that's an RGB amp to get the colours right.

I could transfer the amp over to a new cable for you, or even see if I can fix it, or mod the console differently so a regular cable will work with it.

Pete

Comment

Before you open the scart, does your picture flicker slightly on very bright screens like 1080 start screen? If so, then it's a normal GC scart. And you could do with it remodding in a different way. If not, then it's probably a scart amp, but as mmm says, you'll have to pop it open to find out. If you get it remodded, see if you can find someone who will fit an RGB video chip for you - it looks amazing on mine.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, but it looks like it was a false alarm. I checked again using a composite cable and the sound was just as bad so it's obviously the TV. The funny thing is though that it still sounds ordinary when I plug headphones in. Something wrong internally with the TV I wonder?

Anyway, for future reference, I bought the cable off datadave who apparently got it off you charles. Do you remember the one and how it was modded? It works with the rgb modded 64 and with my pal gamecube (dunno if that tells you anything).

Comment

Charles, what ever happened to your contact with the video chip that helps with the rgb modification?

Comment

I'm curious about this too, is there anymore info on this mod - is it a tiny little RGB amp using a THS7314 chip (I've tried this and it gives a brilliant picture).

Ta
            Pete

Comment

Originally posted by mekanor View Post
              Anyway, for future reference, I bought the cable off datadave who apparently got it off you charles. Do you remember the one and how it was modded? It works with the rgb modded 64 and with my pal gamecube (dunno if that tells you anything).
              Ah right. That cable has a scart amp! Presumably inside the console you have a 3 wire rgb mod only (not the bridge amp). The scart lead does the amplification. Look after it! There's a load of tricky tiny extras in the scart plug

That should give a great picture on most sets. It just didn't work on my Panny plasma business panel (got a load of cross hatching).

So Link plugged an rgb chip in for me instead (using a normal scart cable). The picture is wonderful.
              n64rgbcharlesr034.jpgHe did say he was trying to source a whole bunch of these chips to prevent people cannibalising other devices, but I'm guessing he wasn't successful.

Comment

And just in case you didn't figure out the scale there (and awesomeness of soldering).....

srgb2.jpg

Comment

Why would you need the RGB chip? I'm assuming it gives enough brightness without the need for an amp? The two mods of internal chip and external amp for some reason conflicting with your panny.

Comment

whoa, that's a cool looking bit of soldering by Link, he knows his stuff with the different N64's and RGB mods etc. He said to me he was working on a different RGB mod/amp combo

The latest one I found uses a teeny little chip also

Last edited by mmmonkey; 03-08-2011, 19:47.

Comment

Whah! What chip is that? Is it more easily available?

Pat, the 3wire mod and scart amp also threw my Dad's brand new top of the range (X?) Bravia. It looked good on my Sony 21" CRT though, but I really wanted something I could use on the Panny.

Comment

It's the THS7314, here'e me modding my N64 and one I sold on here with the same mod - http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/ni...64_rgb_new.htm

I got a few free samples from the states to play with, but now buy them from http://www.bitsbox.co.uk, costs 97p or something silly like that, plus ?1.50 postage - he doesn't stock them but will order them in within a few days (along with virtually anything I've emailed him asking him to source).

A few people have contacted me to say it works well for them, and also used it for making console to Jamma adapters with good results.

Comment

Working...
                        X