Network problem, simple I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network problem, simple I think

My mate has just recieved his BT broadband package and has installed all the software and drivers(Win98), after the installation the first thing the computer did was try to connect to the internet to download the BT Help document, but it tried to do so using his old dial-up connection. Under device manager the USB modem is showing no problems and is bound to the TCP/IP protocol. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to getting the computer to use the BB connection?

I`ve noticed that in the network settings for the BB modem that the IP address Subnet mask and other fields are blank but BT haven`t supplied any of these details. My mate has tried the BT help-line but says they aren`t much use.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

look in internet options to see if it's set to "automatically dial my default connection" and that is probably the old one still.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion choddo, you`re right, that is the way it was but after unchecking that option it still goes to dialup when trying to go online, the dialup connections have now been removed and when trying to add a new connection the only choice we are given is to set-up a dialup through his 56k modem, no mention of the USB adsl one.

Any thoughts?

Comment

When you installed the drivers, it should have added a "PPP" modem option for the ADSL modem, if it doesn't appear then you should try reinstalling them.

Comment

Aye. If my hazy memory serves, you still "dial" when using DIY adsl (PPPoA), so if installed correctly, there will be a dial up connection for your broadband if using a usb modem.

Comment

Ah right, PPP is a protocol right? I saw an option for adding or removing protocols and I think my mate had been messing about with this a while ago when he had problems with his 56k connection.

I won`t be able to get on his machine till Monday but I`m pretty sure that this is the problem, thanks guys.

.d.

Comment

Working...
            X