Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parallels 6 on mac, any good and where?

Hi, just picked up a new iMac.

I was planning on installing XP via bootcamp but discovered it wasn't supported on the latest models

So I need to look into running some kind of VM environment to get my windows programs running

Heard good things about Parallels 6, but I am very new to Macs in general so looking on some advice on whether this is the right way to go?

..and if so any recommendations on where to get the right version for a good price?

I did what I usually do and stuck it in Google, but the prices vary so wildly from ?5 to ?80 that it's a bit confusing

Thanks for your help

They dropped Boot Camp? That sucks. Before shelling out for Parallels Desktop, give Virtual Box a shot. From what I've used of it it seems to work just peachily.

Comment

No, they dropped XP support in OSX Lion. I'm sure you could install it if you wanted to with a bot of googling.

Anyway, VirtualBox is good. Parallels is better. The mac bundles that pop up occasionally usually have Parallels in there somewhere. You'll get Parallels and a bunch of other stuff for $30 -$50. If you can wait then go that route. You could start with virtualbox now and migrate the machine to Parallels as an when a deal comes up.

Comment

I understood they haven't dropped Bootcamp but merely require you to be on Windows 7.

Personally (bought a 2011 iMac in late May) only use Bootcamp for gaming and therefore although I've heard nothing but good things about Parallels, I'm not sure it performs as well as running windows via Bootcamp. As I already had an 18mth old retail version of Win 7 from a sold PC, Bootcamp was obviously free for me. On Lion 10.7.1 btw.

Comment

Is there any reason on using XP, while Vista was a disaster all around I would just install Windows 7. Its a worthwhile successor to XP.

Comment

Yep it's just XP support that's been dropped.. Not just on Lion, as my iMac still has snow leopard on it (it is the latest model though)

Main reason is I have a spare XP licence, my windows 7 is an upgrade so I'm screwed as i cant install XP first, it just freezes after you insert the XP cd in bootcamp.

Was hoping to do this without spending another ?70 on a windows 7 licence

Comment

Is it the software that's missing or what? I mean, I used to have XP alongside Snow Leopard.

Comment

No it's a hardware thing I think, it won't even boot from the XP cd, it just freezes on a black screen.

I was trying to figure it out for ages, I'm yet to get used to having so little control, couldn't even eject the disk!! After reading through the mac forums etc it seems it's not possible so looking at VM of some sort...

I've been reading up on virtualbox, so thanks to those who suggested it, I won't be playing games on it, I have Office 2010 that I need to run and some streaming TV services that only support windows that my wife uses to watch her Chinese drama serials..

If anyone does see parallels for a good price let me know as I'd like to give it a go

Comment

I think there's a demo for Parallels if you want to test drive it.

Comment

Working...
                  X