Virgin Media Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin Media Questions

I'm moving into my own house next week and am able to get Virgin in my area. I am worried that they show a very active stance on their website about torrent downloads. Now, I do not download any movies or music, but I do download a few television shows each day after they air in the USA.

I obviously do not want to sign a contract with Virgin Media for TV, phone, and broadband and a few weeks in get a warning letter. How strongly do they enforce this policy, or is it usually people that download an insane amount of movies per month?

Also, anyone know of any great deals

I know a lot of people with Virgin, they have a cap on most activities using the line during something like 9am to 9pm, they change the hours so it gets confusing. The absolute peak for them is either 3pm or 4pm to 9pm. People who cane their lines get a warning letter. Light usage during peak hours should be OK.

Comment

50mb and above are unlimited, I have 50mb and have no issues at all, some top deals at the moment as well make sure you get quidco

Comment

Upload too much on the 50meg and you'll get a warning letter, download supposedly unlimited, though. If only they didn't traffic shape, cap speeds etc, like during the Telewest days. They were once a great ISP to be with.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Well, I got a good deal.

The XL TV package, 30MB broadband, weekend calls and 2 free TIVO boxes with only one subscription charge of ?3 plus a ?80 credit by doing it on phone. (much better than the online price including QuidCo). Also 6 months half price.

So ?38.40 for 6 months, then ?59.90 after. Bargain.

Don't really need the 50MB broadband though.
          Last edited by elaniel; 31-08-2011, 08:50.

Comment

Did you have to haggle much? Need to phone them up later...

My Mum has Virgin and I used to find playing XBL great at any time in the day, although it definately was better later in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel View Post
              Thanks for the replies. Well, I got a good deal.

The XL TV package, 30MB broadband, weekend calls and 2 free TIVO boxes with only one subscription charge of ?3 plus a ?80 credit by doing it on phone. (much better than the online price including QuidCo). Also 6 months half price.

So ?38.40 for 6 months, then ?59.90 after. Bargain.

Don't really need the 50MB broadband though.
              That's a good deal. We had the 1TB TiVo box installed last weekend and so far I'm quite impressed. The UI is very responsive compared to the V+ HD box or Sky HD. And it is a pretty powerful engine for searching for TV, films etc. Even has apps for YouTube, Twitter and eBay amongst other things.

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
                Did you have to haggle much? Need to phone them up later...

My Mum has Virgin and I used to find playing XBL great at any time in the day, although it definately was better later in the evening.
                I just said right away I wanted TIVO and then told them that in store they offered me a second standard box for free and he offered the 2nd TIVO box instead. I also said is there any chance of getting the ?60 discount they offer online over the phone and he said he would see what he could do and in the end offered me ?80.

Comment

Originally posted by elaniel View Post
                  I just said right away I wanted TIVO and then told them that in store they offered me a second standard box for free and he offered the 2nd TIVO box instead. I also said is there any chance of getting the ?60 discount they offer online over the phone and he said he would see what he could do and in the end offered me ?80.
                  great deals for new customers, i generally ring up every six months and haggle like a pro

i've still not opted for the TiVO box yet.. i'll give it another six months before I get stuck in, only just got the 50mb upgrade, free installation & half price package recently

Originally posted by shinobi7000 View Post
                  Upload too much on the 50meg and you'll get a warning letter, download supposedly unlimited, though. If only they didn't traffic shape, cap speeds etc, like during the Telewest days. They were once a great ISP to be with.
                  I must have been very lucky over the years, i've been with virgin since the days of cable & wireless, i've moved twice and i've never had any issues what so ever, blinding internet service I must admit I dont do much uploading

Comment

Virgin do indeed provide a great service. And when your contract ends, if you contact them asking for your MAC code saying you're switching providers, they'll offer a discount. I've been with them for 5, 6 years now and have reached the point where I'm paying under ?8 a month for unlimited broadband.

Comment

I went with virgin again, but they are very sneaky at working out the prices so you have to have a phone line installed, you can opt not to, but then pay over the odds.

But yeah, the 50MB service is unlimited and doesn't ever get capped, so you should never slow down. I'm on the 30MB service now and even with the 75% reduction in speed that being capped hits you with I've still yet to suffer a problem with playing online or downloading.
                      Last edited by EvilBoris; 31-08-2011, 17:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                        Virgin do indeed provide a great service. And when your contract ends, if you contact them asking for your MAC code saying you're switching providers, they'll offer a discount. I've been with them for 5, 6 years now and have reached the point where I'm paying under ?8 a month for unlimited broadband.
                        thats one thing i've never asked for!!... noted for around christmas when i'll be hitting them for a TiVO and hopefully cheaper services

Comment

Apart from they will laugh at you if you are on a cable service, because there aren't any MAC codes for cable services. Tis an ADSL thing only

Comment

I'm sure they discount cable customers voicing their interest in changing providers. Worth a shot at any rate.

Comment

I'll be on the phone to them soon- currently paying ?50 a month for L Broadband/L TV/M Phone, with line rental. Don't even have a bloody HD V-box, so I shall be asking for a TIVO too as my wife has been champing at the bit for one for years. Bit sneaky of them as the Broadband/TV/Phone package was ?15 per month when we signed up with Telewest.

Comment

Working...
                              X