• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound from PS3 using Digital Optical Cable

I bought one of these:

To use with this:

& this (sony hcd-md373):

But I don't get any sound. I've plugged each end of the cable in fully, there is a red light emitting from the cable, I've set the PS3 to use Digital Optical (& I've tried all frequencies), I've set the stereo to optical in but nothing happens - No sound.

Does anyone know why? It could be because it's a cheapy cable but I doubt it.

Link to thread elsewhere:

ps3iso.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ps3iso.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
    Last edited by Harry; 01-09-2011, 03:19.

You actually have to set it to output through that in the PS3 audio options menu

Comment

I know, I've already said in my post that I've done that.

Comment

I have that very same hifi still, unfortunately not in use no more! Do you have the tape deck for it?

You need to set the PS3 to output PCM, this unit wont accept bitstreamed dolby digital or DTS.

Comment

Yeah I still have the Tape Deck somewhere, not sure where though exactly!

So, I've set the PS3 to output Optical Digital to the following frequencies:

Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz
          Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 kHz

Same result - no sound. I've also tried enabling 'Linear PCM 2 Ch. 88.2 kHz & 176.4 kHz' with no difference.

Driving me mad. A TOSLINK cable is the right one yeah? It say's digital optical cable - TOSLINK to TOSLINK connection on the front of the packet.

Comment

In the setup menu on the PS3, under DVD/BD playback (I think it's like 3 or 4 from the top), go to the bottom of the submenu. You should see an HDMI output setting and an optical output setting, set it to PCM instead of bitstream there. Could do the trick.

Lead is correct for sure.

Comment

I already had it set to Linear PCM.

So to re-cap, my settings are as follows:

Stereo set to Optical In, volume turned up
              PS3 set to Optical Digital, Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 kHz & 48 kHz selected
              Tried Audio Multi-Output on and off
              PS3 set to Linear PCM in Video Settings.

I'm all out of ideas.

Comment

Got any other optical sources you can try? then you can rule out the cable.

Push cable really hard at both end. You never know!

Comment

Is the hifi saying optical in?

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                    Stereo set to Optical In
                    Yes...

Comment

Does the Hifi support 48KHz? Try just 44.1.

Comment

Working...
                      X