No announcement yet.

SSD drives - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think you're getting confused mate. Z68 motherboards can use a small SSD drive as a cache for the main C: drive. Is this what you're thinking of? If you really do mean choosing a different swap drive then that's easy and is controlled by Windows.

Comment

Yeah I was getting confused! It was disk caching that I hear is a problem - ignore me, must be sunstroke!
      3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

For the majority of desktop users, right now, I reckon the best bet is to get a big, fast, regular SATA 3 drive and use that. Then, when 500Gig SSDs are like ?75 switch over then.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
          For the majority of desktop users, right now, I reckon the best bet is to get a big, fast, regular SATA 3 drive and use that. Then, when 500Gig SSDs are like ?75 switch over then.
          The best option is to have an SSD for boot (or preferably 2 in RAID0) and regular HDD for data if you need it local otherwise a NAS is an even better option e.g a 4 disk RAID5 Qnap or similar.

There are a number of free RAMdisk options available and are easy to setup and forget. The one I used just had a config dialogue box for drive letter and start at boot options. You can also save the contents at reboot if required but I just flush it.

RAMDisk increases internet page speed, adds security, accelerates databases, reduces compile times, and controls what files and programs are stored into memory.

On a Mac I would assume most apps wouldn't need a Swapfile but some legacy windows apps go loopy without one.
          Last edited by smouty; 03-10-2011, 16:18.

Comment

What does that give you over just using a regular drive? Faster boot time and application launch time (if you put your apps on the SSD)?

Comment

Pretty much yeah but what else are you waiting around for? I did say earlier it depends on what you want the PC for.

Comment

Well yeah, Windows does take an age to launch stuff but for me that's mostly games (I'd have filled the SSD I could afford several times over thanks to Steam sales!). I do all my other stuff under OSX and that's super speedy at launching stuff just using a regular drive. I can see the benefit for anyone using a PC for all their computing needs though. I initially didn't think about anything except the boot speed but faster launching apps under windows would be welcome.

Comment

All depends what your doing really for SSDs, we used them at work to reduce the build times from 6+ hours to 1-2 for a full build of course your never going to do that. But I bought a reasonably priced one for Windows 7 and a few games that I have a symbolic link to for steam and loading does make a difference. I would recommend for that if you have the money for a small one, don't bother with a huge on though costly, no benefit overall.

Comment

I'd be interested to know the configuration you use to get those build times down mate. Feel free to PM to avoid cluttering this thread if you like.

Comment

Working...
                    X