PC not booting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC not booting

I've cobbled together a P.C. for my folks having just upgraded my own computer.

It's an old MSI neo platinum 2 motherboard (socket 939 and still has an AGP slot) and the problem is that the after the system detects the processor, memory and IDE drives it hangs on three error messages:

keyboard error or no keyboard present
    keyboard is loceked out - unlock the key
    CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded

I've tried both a USB and a PS2 keyboard but neither is being recognised so I can't hit a function key to skip on and boot up. I've reset the BIOS using an on board jumper and I've even replaced the CMOS battery but neither has made any difference.

Any ideas?

how many memory sticks are there ?

Comment

I'm using four memory sticks and I cut back to just the one but there was no difference.

Comment

what about differen memory slots ?

Comment

Will give it a go.

Comment

No difference at all.

Comment

The keyboard locked out error might be due to the motherboard supporting the keyboard lock, an pretty old feature that some cases had...the last I've seen was on a 486DX. The connector should be in the same group as the standard case pins (power, reset, LEDs). Check if all connections there are OK or there are any jumpers out of place. Hopefully there's a shortcircuit that causes all this, if you replaced the CMOS battery and it still give a bad checksum error the motherboard might be toast; same thing for the keyboard error, having it locked out shouldn't prompt a non-present error.
              Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 14-10-2011, 09:10.

Comment

Working...
              X