Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going wireless - total noob needs advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it really matters, perhaps though..

Comment

Thanks again everyone for the help

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
        I've got a few Belkin routers too, they didn't let me and bro use Xbox Live at the same time. Proper crap, at least this BT rubbish allows me that.
        First wireless router we ever had at my Mums was a Belkin. Was absolute crap and lasted less than a year (kept overheating and dropping the connection). Had a d-link after that which was actually alright, although did need rebooting every now and then. They now have another Belkin, n this time and it is better but I'd still say the SuperHub has the edge.

To be honest though, I don't really know that much about routers and after a year of mobile broadband Virgin is like a going from a 1982 Micra to a Ferrari

Comment

I don't know that much either, just a bit about firmware on certain models and my own experience.

Best thing to do is have a dedicated PC acting as a router, but that's a bit extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by analog dog View Post
            Stupid question alert!! (god I sound like my mum) At the moment my Imac is my main computer will I have to use the laptop (XP) to set up the router and stuff?
            No you need need any kind of device with a web browser. You could probably access with the tablet.

Comment

Indeed, any computer with a browser will do. Although if you're fiddling around with the wireless settings, doing it via a hard wired machine is naturally the better way to do this
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

To throw a spanner in the works, I got a few different linksys/cisco wireless routers about a year ago and none of them worked properly and their forums were awash with frustrated people. None of them would connect to the 360 wirelessly at all. I think perhaps they were ironing out the kinks in the wireless N protocol (fast wireless) so maybe they are ok now though.

Comment

thought i would mention this here

i had a problem where it would never save my security key which would have been fine except my router reconnects every set up time....now went into routher and can change the recheck time to every 9999 seconds unfortunetly not unlimited

in the end to solve it i had to change the routher from wpa to a static wep key probably not as secure but at least do not have that reconnecting problem

i have tried 3 usb dongle...as a belkin a linksys and a d-link and i have to say the d-link has been the best so far more reliable

Comment

what do you think of this one?

or this

I'm probably not going to use it for gaming as I said earlier though I might try hooking my PS3 to it.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                    X