Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick & Dirty Audio Cleanup?

Hi People,

I have an audio conversation which I want to transcribe. Unfortunately the quality is poor and there's lots of background noise and distortion. What's the best way to clean it up enough to be comprehensible?

I am using Audacity at the moment. It took me a long time to work out though that the treble needed to go down and bass up ? that's how inexperienced I am with audio ? I can't necessarily diagnose what's wrong with the recording.

How do I diagnose the problems?

Many thanks.

Isn't there a noise removal tool in Audacity? You will have to play with it but I think you can selectively remove the high and low noise. I might be wrong, its been ages since I used it TBH.

Comment

I have a copy of Izotope RX. It's so effective, it's ridiculously fun to use for that reason. I've rescued interviews with this before and also use a lot to clean up noisy film transfers. If you want me to clean it up, drop me an email at lyris1 AT gmail DAWT com.
      Last edited by Lyris; 24-10-2011, 16:14.

Comment

Hmm... I see they offer a demo on their website. I will send you a PM if it's difficult to use.

Comment

I'm not sure if the demo can save though? Maybe I'm wrong! It's not too hard to use.

Comment

I've tried it and it seems to have done a pretty good job. It got rid of 90% of the noise and didn't distort the vocals.

It's not a problem that it doesn't save really, because I don't need a copy of the fixed audio, just being able to play it is good enough.

Do you know how to increase amplification on there? I can use my amp, but then I get scary loud system sounds.

Comment

Working...
            X