Sky+HD surround sound problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sky+HD surround sound problem

I just got my +HD box this afternoon. I've connected it up and gone through the overly-complicated setup procedure.

It's all running fine now, apart from I am not getting surround sound from the box. It's connected via HDMI to my amp, which is then connected to my TV via HDMI. The only way I can get sound is to disable the amp, and go through the TV speakers, which is obviously not to my liking and pretty much defeats the object of having a HD source in the first place.

I've looked online and apparently in the Sound menu on the box I should be able to select Dolby Digital via either HDMI or Optical out. This option is not there however. I only have Dolby Digital on or off. The optical is on too as I took the cover off and I can see the red light.

Can anybody shed any light? I've been searching online, to no avail. TBH I'm not going to be pleased if I have to use TOSlink as, the representative on the phone assured me this would not be the case.
    Last edited by J0e Musashi; 25-10-2011, 18:24.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

I didn't think you could get Surround sound via HDMI and it had to be via optical?

Check this link from a quick Google - only stereo sound from HDMI

Comment

Sod it then. What's better out of optical and digital coax? I gather they are the same, and I'd prefer not to have a glass cable trailing around. I can use any RCA cable right or does it have to be an orange one?
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Any phono cable will do.

SKY are complete tards. It's like they have completely misunderstood the idea of hdmi.
        The menus are designed by crackheads and the favourites system being divorced from the normal guide is surely designed by satan.
        The blue button functionality to skip through faves is completely broken too.

Welcome to sky.

Comment

The menu is overly-complicated compared to the older Sky+ one. I knew I should have got that Virgin Tivo

To my amusement however is that my woman is completely at my mercy if she wants to watch any kind of TV or listen to any music. Since we recently upgraded all our hardware, she is finding it very difficult to use the new remote controls
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Logitech Harmony. She will love it. Don't get the "ONE" though - it doesn't have the coloured buttons that we have in the UK.... massive fail.

Comment

My missus can't use the harmony properly even.

Comment

I've got the new style official PS3 BD and TV media remote on order. If she can't use that one, I'll get her the Sony kids remote
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Logitech Harmony 1100 is where it's at. Otherwise we'd have like 10 remotes on our coffee table!

Comment

Working...
                  X