Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

n64 quality image

There was a thread on this but cant find it in bordertown

Well my trusty 20" trinitron has given up the ghost.
    Cant really justify something that size again.

My rgb modded N64 still needs some love tho..
    Best alternatives? 14" trinitron or something else?

Commodore 1081..

Comment

14" Trinitron, IMO.

Comment

Trinitron- any particular models to look out for?

Speedlolita- any more info on the delights of the commodore would be appreciated too!

Comment

Originally posted by punio75 View Post

Speedlolita- any more info on the delights of the commodore would be appreciated too!
          The silver bezel version with the flat screen (mono version) is amazing - once you have tweaked the geometry, nothing comes close

Comment

Originally posted by punio75 View Post

Trinitron doesn't compare, this Commodore is like a small arcade monitor.

1081 is the only one with direct SCART I believe.

Comment

PVM>1081.
              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Because it says Sony on the badge I assume.

Comment

No, because it's broadcast quality, professional hardware.
                  Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Well, a PVM is production quality, profession hardware.

I still think my 15KHz machines look better on my Commodore monitor, having tried the PVM at work.

480i not so much. But N64 RGB isn't that good anyway.

Comment

PVMs are too much of a lottery these days as they're getting on a bit. Can't vouch for the Commodore but I'm happy with my consumer Trinitrons after the aforementioned geometry tweaks.

Comment

There's a huge variety of PVM hardware. The last CRT PVM's were made in 2008, so it's easy to find one with plenty of lifespan in it. Prolly a bit overkill for an N64 though I suppose.

We have OLED BVM's at work, which run ?20k+ each. Prolly overkill for everything they are LOL
                        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Ha, I wasn't aware of 2008 models, I thought Sony had moved on to flat panel PVMs by then. I'm wary of PVMs having been disappointed with them twice over but they were also fairly old sets. Have you used one of the more recent ones? It'd be interesting to hear your perspective if you have, as most of the problems I encountered on mine were with PlayStations via SCART. What does your work use the OLED BVMs for? I've seen that 11" OLED screen, which leads me to believe that having one at a decent size would be interesting.

punio: Not the best picture for displaying the image quality of the set but the 14" Trinitrons are very, very neat.

Comment

Yes I think a Commodore monitor, or a Sony Trinitron is the way to go. I don't think any of the newer PVM's have a SCART input, so you'll need to cobble together a female SCART To RGBS BNC cable to hook up your consoles.

Also the footprint of a PVM (even a 14" model) is quite large depth-wise, so that's something to consider if space is an issue. Popular makes apart from Sony, include: Panasonic, JVC, Ikegami, and Barco. Most of the newer ones support S-Video and Component Video which might come in handy.

Comment

My usage of PVM's has been for PS2 vert shmups, as you can tate the units due to the metal casing. A downside is that they don't have a CENELEC Euroconnector, so you need custom BNC cables or component. I've always been pleased with the PQ.

We use 24.5" BVM's for broadcast monitoring and subtitling amongst other things. TBH, it's not my department, so I don't know what the main usage is for them. I'm yet to hook up a console to one.
                              Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X