New video card advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New video card advice

Currently I'm using a 460 gtx 768mb video card which still runs pretty well. However since battlefield 3 came out I'm struggling to get 60fps at 1080p at with high settings. If I crank down the resolution to 720 it's near enough 60 fps.

I really want to use 1080 resolution with at least 60fps and at least high settings. Are there any cards out there that significantly improve over my current card at a reasonable price?

to get a really big boost need to spend a fair bit of money i am afraid

a 560ti might increase it by 10fps a 6850 would be about the same...seems only a 6950/6970 or a 580 would REALLY give a big performance increase think the 6950 would probably add about 20fps and the 580 may nearly double the frame rate

can you sli another 460 gtx ?

Comment

I see. I don't think my mobo supports SLI.. I was looking at the gtx 570 which seems not too expensive. Does that compare or better the cards you mention? There after is the 580 that much better?

Comment

I've been researching a while to make the same move to replace an aging 5770, in my opinion the GTX 570 seems to be the one to go for balancing price vs performance, its not far off the 580, deffinately not ?100 worth of gfx card off, EVGA Superclocked seems to be the one to go for.

Just paid for a new PSU to match, gonna get the card later this month hopefully.

?260 from Dabs (due this month)
        Last edited by Baseley09; 03-11-2011, 13:01.

Comment

Yeah a 570 seems like a sweet spot. It'll want about 100 watts more power than your current card.

Comment

I wanna butt in on this!!

I've built a new system about 3-4 months ago and I'm still really happy with the performance of my Sapphire ATI 6950 2GB which can be flashed to a 6970. It's quiet too, I got mine for around ?195 but it seemed to have gone up in price!!
            Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

Still, it's cheaper and also apparently better than the 570 according to hwcompare...

Comment

Originally posted by phillai View Post
              Still, it's cheaper and also apparently better than the 570 according to hwcompare...
              http://www.hwcompare.com/
              I just took a look there and the 570 beats the 6950 in FPS on everything?

Hardware prices are going up though yeah. I can get more for my XFX 6870 Black on eBay than I paid for it. Check out the price of Wstern Digital Caviar drives on Scan :-o

Comment

Maybe OT, but referring to the last post, I think hard drive prices are rocketing right now due to floods in the factories where they're made. It sucks.

Comment

Hmmm... Yeah, you're right!
                  I was looking at the first page!

It's still a fast card though... Don't knock it too much!!

Comment

After reading up a bit more it would seem the gtx 570 at 1080 and ultra settings on BF3 will average 55fps at best. I'm such a whore since that disappoints...

Comment

But the BF3 devs have said the the difference, visually, between high and ultra is barely perceptible yet the power required to do it is ridiculous. My goal is always high @ 1080p. Not been disappointed so far with a 6870. Just be happy with high! Or, to put it another way, get high, be happy!

Comment

I'm not sure how that compares with my ATI 6950 2GB but I play at 2560x1440 res!!

Comment

The clue's in the numbers ;-) My monitor is 1920 x 1080 so pointless me running higher res than that.

Comment

You thought about GTX 560Ti? What's ya budget?

Comment

If you want to improve the performance at high resolutions then you want to be aiming for a card with more ram on it.
                              A 768 460 is bound to struggle at 1080, that card is aimed for 1280x720. But a 2gb card should handle it very well, hell my 1gb 460 can run it at around 55fps at 1080 on high settings, that is with no bottlenecks though.

Comment

Working...
                              X