Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virus help !

Somehow a prog called Mscache has worked its way onto my desktop

Norton AV picked it up and stopped it, but for some reason XP won't delete it saying its in use by another user.

I've run Norton again and it hasn't picked anything else up

Any idea how I can get rid of this bloody thing ?

ft:

How about booting to a command prompt and deleting the file from c:\docs n settings\your user\desktop?

Worth a go, only take you a minute or so.

Comment

Nope that didn't work

It can't get rid of it that way either

Any other ideas ? I don't want this crap stuck on my desktop forever

Comment

tried stopping the process or service associated with it?

Comment

Thats just the thing, there doesn't seem to be any programme that's associated with it

I've used task manager etc and there's no mention of it there

I've trawled some other forums and it seems as if its a Trojan / Spyware variant that should be simple enough to shift with most spyware / antivirus programmes.....

....but....

.....no one seems to have come across this problem before

I've gone through the registry ( yes I've gotten that desperate ) and deleted all references to it there, and then tried getting rid of it again. The little bugger still won't shift and XP still thinks something or someone is still using it

I'm beggining to think a reformat is the only way of ending this ft:

Comment

you looked in the running services list? Anything running there should show up in task manager too though.

Comment

Nope, nothing under running services either

Comment

You could boot into safe mode then delete it from your profile under documents and settings

Comment

By what i gather it`s ad ware so virus scaners aren`t great at eliminating the problem. Get ad-aware 6.0 of the lavasoftusa website (freeware) and that will get rid of it no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Hodge
                    By what i gather it`s ad ware so virus scaners aren`t great at eliminating the problem. Get ad-aware 6.0 of the lavasoftusa website (freeware) and that will get rid of it no problem
                    Aye, that's what I was gonna suggest. Should be just the ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tosser
                      You could boot into safe mode then delete it from your profile under documents and settings
                      Tried that too, but that didn't work

Originally posted by Hodge
                      Tried this and while it did pick up some spyware that my usual Spyware programme didn't, I still can't delete the Mscache file

Just what the hell is this thing ????

EDIT :- Have it you little bastard !

Finally shifted it. Mscache had latched itself onto some hidden file called Regrun. Once I deleted that I was able to delete the copy from My Documents ( how and why it was using that file I don't know. Its not something I'd installed so I guess it was mascarading as that )

Then I had to boot to the command prompt in safe mode and for some reson it shifted it

Thanks for all the input guys. Just hope none of you get that thing !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X