Virgin Fibre Optic Service - Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgin Fibre Optic Service - Questions.

I know there's an ISP section on here, but it's been ages since anyone has replied so thought I'd post in here.

Due to where I live and that my other house 'guests' have b/b and a phone line already I'm thinking of getting Virgin 30 or 50mb service and had a couple of question for those on it.

I'm just getting the bb service, no phone etc. as don't need any of that extra stuff and download quite a lot from Steam etc. these days, so firstly wondered what the fair useage policy was like? I know there are times when it slows down, but wondered what sort of speeds people were realistically getting during these periods?

I'm also assuming there is still no download cap on Virgin's service?

Lastly is the 100mb service still above the fair useage policy i.e. it doesn't apply to this service?

Cheers
    3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

I'm on the 30mb and according to speedtest.net consistantly get just over 30mbits/s whenever I do the test. I've only ever noticed it slow down once or twice and I've had it 2 months now. Test from just now:

I've no idea about the usage limit I'm afraid as we don't tend to download anything more than songs/updates for games and software, but just found this webpage which has virgin down the bottom and assuming the information is correct, tells you all you need to know

Comment

100mb and 50mb lines are unaffected by speed caps, 50mb has an upload cap though.
      Compare our best broadband deals in your area in seconds with free set up. Find the best deal for you with average speeds of up to 1130Mbps

Comment

Thanks lads. Turns out they do throttle all usenet and p2p services, which includes Steam annoyingly. But certain port settings can help apparently. Or dling after midnight. So technically they do limit you, but they do have their own Usenet service only retention is 7 days. But should be ok regardless.
        3DS FC (updated 2015): 0447-8108-3129

Comment

Working...
        X