WE 7 vs. PES 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WE 7 vs. PES 3

I'm new to this football games lark, but having tried an *cough* copy of Winning Eleven 7, I like it. But now that PES 3 has come out, I don't know which version to get.

I will be patching either version anyway, so that's not an issue. I'd like English commentary, but if the WE patch doesn't provide it, then that's ok. But I do want a fully translated game with real players, if the patches have progressed that far yet. Cheapness is also a factor.

Also, and bearing in mind I am really crap at this stuff, what's the controls for basic dribbling and tackling? I'm ok with shooting and general ball kicking, but I keep failing at just keeping the ball away from the other team, through tricks or whatnot, and just tackling them. I've figured out that O is slide tackle, but it's not very easy to play a game of footie with just a slide tackle. Any help? Cheers.

hold X to press the player in control of the ball with the current highlighted player.

hold [] to press the player in control of the ball with your nearest teammate, this allows for your highlighted player to have a bit more free movement when not in possession.

Personally, I only use O when it's a desperate situation, it's quite tricky to perfect a slide tackle in WE7 I think, in previous incarnations there was a bit more margin for error.

Comment

Pressing X also does a 'foot in' tackle at the same time (as well as pressing) which hopefully nips the ball off the opponents feet and as such gives you more control. Like the man said above, only use O for desperation tackles as it were...

R1 - Fast run with least ball control.
      R2 - Middle run with more ball control.
      Dpad direction - Slowest run with most ball control.

R1 is the bane of yr life, use it wisely.

Comment

Some people reckon you get a lot more control out of the analog stick. I much prefer to use the D-pad, it's done by me alright since the ISS Pro '98 days, plus I can always get that little turn on the wing past the last full back that sends me darting down the wing for a cross no problem on the D-Pad.

Some crossing info...

Pressing O once will result in a standard-ish cross.
        Tapping O twice, will give you a waist high-ish cross.
        Tapping O thrice, will give you a low cross into the box.

Comment

Check this. Theres some differences, but most buttons here actually work....

Comment

Originally posted by stroppa
            Some people reckon you get a lot more control out of the analog stick. I much prefer to use the D-pad, it's done by me alright since the ISS Pro '98 days, plus I can always get that little turn on the wing past the last full back that sends me darting down the wing for a cross no problem on the D-Pad.

Some crossing info...

Pressing O once will result in a standard-ish cross.
            Tapping O twice, will give you a waist high-ish cross.
            Tapping O thrice, will give you a low cross into the box.

D-pad all the way, there's only 8 directions so it's not true analog control and for me the ps2 sticks are way too loose. (N64 ISS on the stick, yes pls...diff game though).

As for the crossing, I thought it went like this:

Press O once for cross to far post.
            Press O twice (and hold on 2nd press for power) for cross to near post.
            Press O thrice (and hold on 3rd press for power) for low fast cross along. the ground.

Comment

Do not buy either, get This Is Football/ World Tour Soccer instead.

Wonderfully arcadey and simplistic to play, nice proper transfer market system and a career mode.

SCHWEET.

Comment

You don't get the same feeling when you score a goal in TIF that you do with Winning Eleven/PES.

TIF is ok for beginners though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                  Do not buy either, get This Is Football/ World Tour Soccer instead.

Wonderfully arcadey and simplistic to play, nice proper transfer market system and a career mode.

SCHWEET.

Great advice

Stick with WE7 - great game and it 'feels' better than PES3.

Comment

Gasp! Exasperation!

I am no football game n00b I'll have you know, you impudent scoundrels. I've given time to dozens of footy games, even Manchester United In Europe on the amiga.

I know whereof I speak, and (IMO) TIF > WE/ PES/ ISS/ whatever it's bloody called.

Naturally all of the above are better than FIFA <spit>

Comment

This is football has my vote..

Every other footy game i always see the ball flying off into the crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravon
                        This is football has my vote..

Every other footy game i always see the ball flying off into the crowd.
                        This is like real life though, or are you just not familiar with the Scottish Premier League?

Comment

Originally posted by Chadruharazzeb
                          Gasp! Exasperation!

I am no football game n00b I'll have you know, you impudent scoundrels. I've given time to dozens of footy games, even Manchester United In Europe on the amiga.

I know whereof I speak, and (IMO) TIF > WE/ PES/ ISS/ whatever it's bloody called.

Naturally all of the above are better than FIFA <spit>
                          Lol i had Man Utd in europe on my atari...it was ****.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterUK

Great advice

Stick with WE7 - great game and it 'feels' better than PES3.
                            Reasons pls. I was torn between the two but ending up going for pes3 but will happily be persuaded otherwise...

Comment

Originally posted by Len
                              Reasons pls. I was torn between the two but ending up going for pes3 but will happily be persuaded otherwise...
                              I've posted a few times on this subject. Here they are, quotified.

From this TOPIC

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
                              Not gameplay-wise. Personally WE7 still beats it...

Because with PES3 they've sped up the play, with quick players being quicker, and slow players are now quick. Now it feels like everyone has exceptional dribbling abilities & speed. Because of this, Top players wont feel that different from some middle of the road player. In WE7 i remember Heskey used to control like a tank, in that his dribbling is average, and his speed = mediocre to fast. Now in PES3 he has the dribbling skills + pace + power. Even though the stats are more or less unchanged.

Players like Tudor/Ferrara [insert any slow defender] are now capable of speeding onto balls no problem.

The ability to accellerate to top running speed just like that [/me makes clicking fingers gesture] means that it is easy to get away from the opposition.
                              Plus add to the fact that defending headers is a nightmare since the 'Header' is now bumped up in power and priority since WE7 (not as bad as WE6 though) it is now a lot easier to score with headers. I once had an opponant hit a thumping header from just beyond the penalty spot - aimed right at the keeper and he totally fluffed the save, in that he didn't save it and went through his arms.

It is now easier to score goals from outside the area (just outside the 'D'), plus the shots are more powerful.

only thing thats keeping me playing PES3 is the licensed Juventus kit. Yes, i am that shallow
                              and another from this TOPIC

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
                              As Stu mentioned before, it is more frentic since the ball is pinging about like a game of pinball with 22 flippers.

As for difficulty i know WE7 is harder on default 3 stars than PES3 3 stars, since the majority of the games in WE7 are rarely goal fests, yet when i try the same tactics/teams in PES3 i score more frequently. Definitely i can score from corners/headers more easily in PES3.

It's more a balance issue as to why WE7 plays better, since the players don't seem overpowered, and the speed isn't as hyper. Owen is good in WE7, but in PES3 he is just insane.
                              Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X