Typical Graphics Card Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical Graphics Card Q's

So, the time may actually have come (he says with some trepidation) for the gfx card upgrade.

For the longest time ive been eyeballing the EVGA superclocked GTX 570.........though now for around the same monies they have a stock version but with 2.5GB RAM.

Now, it has been my (limited) understanding that the higher RAM counts on graphics cards usually come into play for those that game at extreme resolution, I game @ 1920x1080, so would the 2.5GB version be bum for me?

I question this as I have been reading reports of people running out of V-RAM on battlefield 3 and a few other modern titles even @ 1080p.

Whats the general consensus around here?

2.5GB of vRAM? That's utterly mental. I'd be thinking more 2560x1600 with that much.

Just get the basic GTX 570, or 560Ti IMO.

Comment

With the 7800 series out next month it'd be madness to buy now - hang on a little while. At the very worst current prices will drop.

Comment

As long as you have 1GB VRAM, I'd say the RAM speed itself is more important. Make sure it's GDDR5.

Comment

Rage appreciates having more than 1.5 gig RAM, even at 1080p resolutions. Others may follow I guess.

Comment

I think it's the way things are going, IMO a mistake to buy a card without at least 1.5GB now.

Comment

not been really any major launches the past year think the graphics cards released this year can be summed up like this there are the lower budget ones which are pretty rubbish ....mid ranged ones which are not that much better then the previous gen mid range ones (the 6850 amd is about the same as a 5850 and the bog standard 560 is about the same as my 460 though the ti version is about 10fps faster though) the higher range stuff i find far far to expensive for the gain

guess what bugs me is the prices have not really reduced at all and i am hoping the next range of graphics cards will lower prices of older ones (top of the range one like the older 5970 still goes for several hundred but its probably one of the fastest cards out there

Comment

I just got a 4890 (yeah you read that right) and it's pretty great. 1GB of RAM.

If I were buying a card from this generation I'd probably get a 6970 with 2GB of RAM.

Comment

I got a 6870 in August. No regrets. Runs everything at 1080p at max or close to max settings. Cost about ?130

Comment

As mentioned on an earlier thread I bought the 570. It's an amazing card and probably the best performance vs price card out there.

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                      I got a 6870 in August. No regrets. Runs everything at 1080p at max or close to max settings. Cost about ?130
                      That was the one I was going to go for before I decided to hang fire on buying a new computer. All the magazine reviewed PCs that used it ran the most demanding games tested on max settings at or around 60fps. With performance like that it now has to be one of the best value for money cards too. The 6970 did give, typically, 30% higher fps in similar tests but at the time I last looked it was twice the current price of the 6870.

Comment

just saw some reviews for the 560 ti 448 edition http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforc...iew-32329.html seems like a slightly cut down 570

Comment

Got an MSI 560ti a few weeks ago and it is awesome. I can't see why i'd other spending more unless I had twin screens or something like that. Evertything runs at full/ultra/high and is silky smooth.

Comment

Made the splurge at last and ordered an EVGA GTX 570 SC, heaven help me.

Comment

Working...
                            X