CPU fan and case / system fan advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU fan and case / system fan advice needed

Firstly, sorry for the formatting in my posts, I've tried sorting it out but it's gone funny again. 1: I have a fairly hefty CPU fan which was supposed to be silent or 'quiet' but never has been since I bought it a while ago. Is it worth messing with the settings to reduce speed and noise, if so how do I do that and are there any risks? 2: My case fan, another silent type, was making some weird sounds so I disconnected it, if the main fan is quite powerful will I be OK or is that risky? I have no idea why it was making the sounds, might try cleaning it (it was a low volume kind of tapping sound but no wires were touching it). Anyone who takes pity on my lack of knowledge please feel free to advise.

Any sign of dust on the blades? Get a vacuum on there with a brush attachment and around the spindle/bearing area.
    Otherwise, throw it away and get another from www.quietpc.com

Install Speedfan to see if you should worry about temperatures - do something intense like video conversion.

Does the CPU fan speed change speed often or is it fixed?
    Go into Bios and ensure that CPU power saving is enabled and that fan control is being done in Bios too so that it will slow right down when you are just reading internets.

Comment

Thanks for replying, the case fan isn't that old at all but I don't want to risk using the vacuum on it (more that I don't trust the vacuum cleaner). I tried cleaning the CPU fan with compressed air but some of the crap wasn't coming off, need a second go at it, maybe using cotton buds and then air. After buying a quiet PSU, CPU fan and case fan it still isn't anywhere near quiet. If I get another PC in a year or before I will splash the cash for a quiet machine. Maybe a better case, etc etc. A friend had a Dell once which was super quiet- I was shocked.

Comment

A quiet CPU fan is useless unless the bios can actually reduce the speed on it when possible. Check your motherboard has all the necessary stuff.

Comment

I wish I had known that when I bought the fan, but I also thought (probably wrongly) that the overall noise of the fan should be less than the normal ones. I checked and my mobo does have fan settings but I need to figure out what to do with them, and also whether Power Settings in Windows need changing. Thanks again (sorry I know so little about this stuff).

Comment

Make sure your CPU fan is wired up to the correct 4pin connector on the motherboard. If it's on a 3pin one it'll be running at max speed constantly and that's never going to be quiet.

Comment

It shouldn't have much to do with the windows power settings (unless you have fiddled about with them) - look for processor power settings min 5% max 100%.

Which mobo have you got? If you can find a link to the online manual we can look to see what settings are available in bios.

Comment

Will get back to the thread about mobo model, it's a couple of years old and I got ripped off for the bundle as I needed a system quick-ish. I haven't even been able to update the bios, couldn't find a working link.

Comment

Are you able to access bios? Press del or F1 or something during startup.

Comment

Working...
                  X