Is my PS3 HDD dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my PS3 HDD dying?

Worst possible luck happening over Christmas, especially with uncharted 3 and Dark Souls beckoning.

I've got a UK PAL system, later model, non-PS2 compatible, bought early 2009. Replaced HDD with a 500 gig model. I think the original was 120? Can't remember. Current free space 146gig out of 500gig.

It started with Sonic Generations. I popped the game in, downloaded the updated and then exited from the game to the XMB, then hit eject on the system. Disc popped out but the system froze. Had to power off via the switch and when restarting it said the file system had corrupted and it would rebuild it. After this it seemed fine.

Then a little while ago it happened again with uncharted 3 - exit the game, hit eject and it crashes at the XMB. When restarting the same message pops up but it gets stuck in an infinite loop of rebuilding the file system.

Had to use this thread:

I booted in safe mode, restored the default settings, and rebuilt the database, then it had to restore the file system AGAIN, and finally it worked. Several dynamic themes were corrupt and I also took the opportunity to delete a lot of demos and videos, but I don't really want to lose them.

PROBLEM

It seems to be intermittently freezing and crashing. Sonic Generations froze up at a few points (glitchy game, or borked HDD?). Then yesterday with From Dust I lost a mission and clicked restart, and it crashed, forcing manual reset. It didn't show the Restore File System message, but now I'm afraid to put it on again.

Does From Dust crash like that?
    Is there a utility to check everything?
    Should I reboot in safe mode and rebuild the database, AGAIN?

I don't like doing that though because it wipes all settings and PSN account info (last it did that several downloaded items stopped working, demanding I renew my license for them on PSN)

(MERRY CHRISTMAS!)

Yuo can detach the HDD from the PS3, attach it to a computer and see what SMART or other HDD health utilities say. If some values are outside their safe range you can try a low-level format or a firmware update via the HDD manufacturer's tools, but this is not garaunteed that will make the HDD good again.
    Last edited by briareos_kerensky; 25-12-2011, 10:19.

Comment

Working...
    X