triple channel memory problems , need a guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

triple channel memory problems , need a guru

Finally got to put the final bits in this pc and when i install the third memory chip (3x4gb) the machine won't start up and beeps like mad.

2 are just fine but having three is a no go. I've swapped the chips around and it made no difference.

Anyone got any suggestions. Not fiddled with the bios yet

bri

What kind of system do you have? Triple channel memory is supported only by LGA 1356 (Intel) and IIRC Bulldozer (AMD), other architectures are limited to dual channel.
    Though, installing three memory banks should not have such drastic effects on the computer. Check your motherboard manual to see if there's a specific DIMM order to follow for uneven number of memory banks.

Comment

I7-950 running on a XA58-UD5, only just got it all running. I've checked the banks and im putting it in the right slots , just no joy when i put it in the third

bri

Comment

Is that a Gigabyte motherboard? I use a EX58-UD5 for my i7 920 and have no problems with 3 or 6 banks configurations (I total up to 12GB).
        Have you tried to use the third module as a single bank or with the other two, to rule out any possible fault in a memory bank?
        Also you can check the manufacturer's website to see if your RAM brand has problems with the motherboard or current BIOS installed.

Comment

will give the bios a look over to make sure i've got the latest.

Comment

Working...
          X