PS3 controller being weird... why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 controller being weird... why?

For the last week or so, my PS3 controller has been a bit of a dick. When I try to connect it, all four red lights flash really fast and it doesn't connect. They keep going for several minutes before stopping on their own. If I hit the PS button again, the same thing will happen. I try plugging in the USB cable, restarting the PS3 and usually go through this a few times and it eventually connects.

It can be a ten minute or more process. Which is a pain in the ass.

It never happened before and the only thing that I think could have changed was a recent update (hadn't updated it in ages) although, of course, it's entirely possible that either the PS3 or controller is in the process of dying.

Any ideas? Driving me a bit bananas.

Have you tried synching it again in the ps xmb via cable mine goes a bit mad if I have too many USB devices plugged in (rick band kit, hdd etc etc) how close is your modem to the ps3 might be interference?

Comment

It's not all that close to my modem but it's right by a wall so who knows what my neighbour has on! Where is the resync function? That sounds like a good idea, cheers.

Comment

Have you reset it using the tiny reset button on the back of the controller? It's above the CECH model no on the label(DS3, anyway)

Last edited by randombs; 07-01-2012, 20:16.

Comment

Ah no, I haven't. I'll give that a go. Thanks!

Comment

Haven't managed to sort this. Resetting the controller hasn't worked unfortunately and I can't find the option to resync the controller - anyone know where that is? I see one for reassigning its number but that doesn't seem to have had an effect either.

Could it be that my controller is just buggered?

Comment

As far as I'm aware, resyncing it simply involves plugging it in via USB and pressing the PS button. I don't suppose you could try it in another system and then try it with yours again?

I remember reading about one of these gaming tournaments where they'd set aside a PS3 for finalists to sync their controllers with after matches so there'd be no issues, that's why I'm wondering.

I just found this post on the PS forums, it could be worth a try:

Okay so I had this issue since the last update to firmware 3.60 and finally figured out a fix!!

The Story: My controller and bluetooth headset stopped working after the last firmware update. I looked all over the internet trying things here and there. I reset my account, restored my PS3 and lost half my data grrr and i reset the damn controller...

...I figured i'd connect the controller to my laptop to see if it was the charging issue. Windows installed some software for it and i checked the status in "my computer" it said status ok. So i connected it back to the ps3 via usb cable and hit reset on the controller a few times and unplugged the ps3 and turned off the power. Then i turned it back on and pressed the ps button. When i unplugged usb from controller the controller stayed on for the first time in weeks.
              Probably worth a shot?

Comment

Thanks. That's definitely worth a go.

If just plugging it in with USB and pressing PS is resyncing then I've covered that. What's weird is that it does eventually work, so it's not totally dead. And once it connects, it stays connected. But it can take ten minutes sometimes to get that.

Comment

It could well be some kind of interference, maybe it's taking that long to settle on a quiet channel?

Comment

Working...
                  X