running xp programs on a 2000 or 98 machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running xp programs on a 2000 or 98 machines

is this at all possible because i want to get the music mixer software off microsoft but i've only got 2000 and 98 machines and it runs on XP any help will be welcomed

Windows software tends to run on anything above win95, unless it uses something specific to that OS (which is unlikely).

Very broadly, Windows = Windows.

Comment

thanks i'll try it out

Comment

Windows 2000 and XP in particular are almost exactly the same OS...

Comment

it's an XP only program so is there any way to run it on 2000 or 98

Comment

Be a bit more specific tbh, what is XP only?

Off the top of my head, the only thing I can think of which doesn't cross the 9x -> NTx border well is things which access the hardware directly. CD ripping software is an example of that.

I suppose the guff they ship with XP might be fiddled so it won't work with 2k et al *shrug*

Comment

sorry about being briefs it's the microsoft music mixer transfer software for the xbox so you can transfer media files to the xbox

Comment

Well it's pretty easy for a program to check what version of windows it's running on so if they do that you're in trouble.

There's no technical reason why the music transfer software wouldn't work with Windows 2000... I'm not too sure about anything earlier though, I haven't even used Windows 98 etc.

Comment

hmm tbh mate, I've been reading up on that program and I can't seem to garner why it's XP only. How does it connect to the PC, ethernet?

Guess they must have fiddled it to promote XP :/

Comment

Originally posted by iamlost_
                    it's an XP only program so is there any way to run it on 2000 or 98
                    That'll be .NET then. The framework is part of XP, but not older versions although you can install .NET at Windows update and it should run fine. Don't know about specifics for the music proggy though, I thought it was all modern versions of Windows... (heh, that'll be XP then! ).

Comment

Ah yes! .NET! I knew I shouldn't have blinkered it out of existence in my brain for a reason!

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Marklar
                        you can install .NET at Windows update and it should run fine.
                        does that mean i could run it on 2000 if i install .net

Comment

Probably... have you downloaded the software?

Comment

i haven't been able to download the software yet because the website won't let me

Comment

only problem i would imagine is the install checking for xp and refusing to install.

although, maybe you could get some l337 hacker to change to version number of windows 2k (5) to 5.1, or whatever XP is

Comment

Working...
                              X