No announcement yet.

linux and dvd ripping questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only use Ubuntu as a headless media server which it is perfect for.
    On a desktop, for some windows apps where high performance isn't necessary there is a windows emulation package - Wine - which should be adequate.
    I think you will be surprised at how far Linux has come and how little it cannot do.

Comment

Sorry you are correct.

Originally posted by smouty View Post
      I doubt that is the case or iTunes would be illegal.
      I think the correct phrase is format shifting not backup

Comment

Thanks for that info smouty, I'm considering using Linux on another pc in the future because too much malware / virus(es?) target Windows. Is securing and updating Linux systems a pain? Does it have decent firewalls available etc etc?

Comment

as far as I know there is no difficulty to upgrading, it almost like windows now in terms of it tells you what packages you can update for the various applications and any OS updates. i have ubuntu on my laptop, sometimes I have had issues and had to rollback.

Comment

The last few versions of Ubuntu have been a breeze to update and upgrade. I did an inplace upgrade from 10 to 11 on a desktop without issue.
            I update manually with 'sudo apt-get update' then 'sudo apt-get upgrade' but there are automatic update programs in the desktop version you can use. I just like to see what is installing.
            The firewall is great when you get used to it and comprehensive. The only issues I've had is with script kiddies targeting the SSH port so I run on non-standard ports externally.

I put off updating for years as I have a RAID5 array and was running Fedora6 (now 15 or 16 ) but it imported fine, remounted and updated permissions easily enough.
            If this all sounds a bit complex, don't worry. There are some great tools such as webmin for management.
            Last edited by smouty; 10-01-2012, 14:11.

Comment

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              LTS means long time support.
              And here was me thinking it meant Light Team Supplements. I thought the xx.04 releases were always LTS versions, with xx.10 being "inbetweeny" ones.

I've found Ubuntu 11.xx doesn't like the resolution of my TV and monitor for output (1360x768) which is why I'm back to 10.04

Comment

very very glad you mentioned that as my monitor is 1360x768

Comment

Thanks again for the info, everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                    very very glad you mentioned that as my monitor is 1360x768
                    Ah-ha, good thing I did then.

Comment

well my fiances laptop borked was having problem installing windows so got a and burned linux mint....was actually suprised how painless it went recognised keyboard/track pad/graphics card/wireless adapter all easy and its really easy to navigate (uses gnome interface) all the computer is needed for is to go online and surf the net and it does that fine

Comment

Working...
                      X