Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Monitor and Graphics card advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Monitor and Graphics card advice please!

Hi there,

Getting a new PC, have the basics chosen, but basically all I need now is the Monitor and the graphics card.

For monitor, I was thinking of the Hitachi 17" TFT Screen, which has a 12ms response time so seems quite good for games.

For card, The 9800 pro 128mb (works out about 270).

Anyone any other recommendations/reasons why I shouldnt go for this setup?

Cheers,
    Mark

What is the model number of the Hitachi screen? There is one older model that still lingers around alot that doesn't have such a fast screen on it so beware. Might be worth waiting a week or so as the 9800s might come down at bit cause of the XT.

Neil.

Comment

Heres the link to the Hitachi :

Leading the way in bespoke PC systems and PC gaming, any and all of your components & peripherals needs are met with our vast range of products and services.

Second one down, the carbon one. Hitachi CML174SXWB

Thanks for the tip on the 9800 pro btw Hopefully will get my old and **** PC fixed for a few days instead of being reliant on the Uni ones

Comment

small question - you are planning to use the DVI input, and not the analogue one, aren't you? It makes a decent difference, and really the only reason to go TFT if you can possibly afford the desk space for a CRT.

Comment

Originally posted by mid
          small question - you are planning to use the DVI input, and not the analogue one, aren't you? It makes a decent difference, and really the only reason to go TFT if you can possibly afford the desk space for a CRT.
          Yeah I was planning on it.

But to be honest, I would be perfectly pleased with a good flat CRT, Desk Space really isnt an issue.

Are there any good 19" ones out there, I need the colour to be Black though to match the rest of my setup!

Comment

Overclockers have a load of good 19 inch CRTs on their site, and you will find a wealth of information in the forums there.

Comment

On the graphics card front - this looks like a bit of a bargain on ebay - anyone think this is ok??!

Basically, heres the setup I was going for - anyone care to comment on it?

2500XP Barton (easily overclockable to 3200 for a fraction of the price)
              Asus NForce2 Socket A
              1 gig Crucial Ram
              Maxtor 120gig HDD
              Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite
              Pioneer DVD ROM Tray Load
              Pioneer 106 4x DVD-RW
              Coolermaster Black Widow Case
              Antec 430w PSU
              Teac Black Floppy Drive
              9800 Pro 128mb
              Rounded Floppy Cable
              Rounded ATA cable

Seem like a good setup? All thats costing me roughly ?950, plus monitor of course. But I'll be saving a good ?60/?70 if I get that card off ebay

Comment

That card is coming from the US, so its ?20 postage plus you might get stung for import taxes.

Comment

Yeah just noticed that myself

Looks like ?280 for a 9800 128 pro!

Comment

Stay away from TFT's if you want to play games, even with a 12ms response time its still not perfect for gaming.

CRT all the way, this one to be precise iiyama 454

Comment

hi, have a look at this 9800pro for 222pounds from komplett- LINK enter this product numer to get to it-120304 you need delivery on top but it seems like a bargin to me

Comment

Ordered the lot from overclockers, seemed like great prices all the way through, should have it early next week

Didnt go for the TFT just yet, I will wait and see and read more opinions on them before splashing out!!

So, hopefully I got a nice gaming setup there

Comment

Working...
                        X