Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xrgb-3 with N64

I have a rgb modded N64.
    I wondered what anyones experience has been working through a xrgb-3.

Thanking in advance.

There aren't particular problems between the XRGB-3 and the N64, I had no need to tweak the AFC, though I spent some time with various A/D and LPF settings to see what looked better. Unfortunately the XRGB-3 is now unplugged and I don't recall what settings I used, both both B0 and B1 worked great.

Comment

Is it fairly easy to use for a newbie?
      Can get hold of a crt maybe but don't have the room really. How would you say it compared to a crt?

Comment

I'd reccomend installing the latest Englsh firmware, if you haven't. You can go here for essentially all information you might need.
        Is it your first time setting up a XRGB-3?

Comment

Yep, first time.

Comment

At first it might look as a daunting task, the XRGB is a fantastic piece of equipment but it's far from perfect.
            DVI and B0 mode are the less problematic way to operate the XRGB but you won't get any scanlines, you'll need VGA and B1 mode for those.
            When selecting the output resolution, don't be too hasty in changing between them or the XRGB might fail to negotiate with the monitor, especially with VGA connection; if this happens you'll need to reset the unit to factory defaults.
            If you have chosen a 16:9 or 16:10 resolution you can change the aspect ratio via a button on the remote; this won't modify the chosen resolution but just the aspect ratio of what you'll see on your monitor.
            The SCART input on the XRGB-3 has a Japanese pinout, you don't want to connect European cables without an adapter.
            With the console on you can navigate the OSD to adjust the picture; some options, like the NTSC AFC level, are greyed out until you set the relative option to manual (usually above the greyed out voice); other might not seem to have a direct effect on the picture.
            What you'll want to test is the LPF (Low Pass Filter), Sharpness and the A/D (Analog/Digital) sliders. These three option should be all you need to get the N64 up and running.

Comment

Cheers mate.
              Regarding the scart- since I have a Us modded N64 I guess I would need some adaptor/connector to change to a Japanese pinout? Are these easy to source?

Comment

Yeah this one will suit your needs

Comment

It's not the mod or the console, it's the cable. If you can connect your N64 to an European TV without problems, you have an European pinout and you need an adaptor for the XRGB-3. I found one on eBay few years ago, they shouldn't be hard to come by.

[beaten to it]

Comment

Mmm, finding this a bit daunting.
                    Starting with my N64 before I move on to anything else.
                    Getting some picture at times but very dark.
                    Really need some basic settings to get me started!

Comment

Depends how your machine is modded. If you've got it tapped directly from the GPU then you'll need to add some resistors to either the inside of the machine or into the SCART cable.

330Ohm is the sweet spot from when I had my NTSC-J RGB modded Nintendo 64. This was on an XRGB-2+.

If your screen is dark though there might be too much resistance already, which I imagine means that the RGB was tapped from the underside of the board..

I'd redo it if I were you, easiest bet.

Comment

Not idea how it was modded tbh. If its the mod then I'm screwed.
                        I still have a very dark/red screen.
                        So frustrating.

Just don't have the know how to play with this for ages.

Comment

Working...
                        X