Poor/Fair router signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor/Fair router signal

Recently moved house and got VirginMedia stuff installed i.e Superhub and 30mb broadband.

After the Virgin man had left, I had to phone Virgin up to fix my internet that was failing straight away. Router needed channel change and change the 802.11 mode from 300Mbps to 145.

This got it working.... Anyway, this isn't my problem...

Afterwards I read in he manual that the Superhub should not be situated next to a TV or cordless phone, or one end of house (better centrally)... my setup ticks all these boxes and with limited cabling to adjust.

Basically, unless I decided to make my new home cable junction ugly, I'm stuff with my PS3 and PC getting a weak signal, but also what seems to be poor braodband test score 10-15Mb download.

My question is, is there a Mega hub, or router 9000 with the signal strength to end my worries, or do I have to get physical?

Thanks

I get lots of wireless Interferance where I live from the 12 other routers and countless other 2.4ghz wireless devices that show up on an SSID scan
    Changing from 2.4ghz to 5ghz makes a massive difference to my download speed, I do that If I need something downloading fast. Problem is my laptop is the only device I have that supports 5ghz, so my iPhone and Xbox can't connect via wireless in that mode.
    Last edited by EvilBoris; 20-02-2012, 09:01.

Comment

Think the Superhub next to TV thing is a bit OTT, ours is 2 inches from the TV and is fine, even for my desktop upstairs. I think the way the Virgin set up works, you can't replace the superhub with another device, or they won't support it at least.

Perhaps using a second wireless router as a repeater for your devices will help you out?

Comment

You can set the superhub to function as just a cable modem and buy a standard Router to actually do everything else

Comment

Working...
        X