USB to Old Din socket adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB to Old Din socket adapter

Strange question this. My parents have an ancient pc connected to the plasma screen in sitting room. This stupid pc requires an old style keyboard to be plugged into the din socket in order to boot up. They chucked out the keybpard so I currently can't boot the pc at all. My laptop has no HDMI out and the plasma has no VGA in so we have to use the old pc for watching films etc.Would it work if I bought a USB - din socket adapter and used a USB keyboard in order to boot the machine?Thanks.
    Last edited by moonwhistle; 25-02-2012, 20:40.

AT to PS/2 adapter and a PS/2 keyboard would work, no idea about USB though.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the PS 2 to USB adaptors only work with mice.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
        I'm pretty sure the PS 2 to USB adaptors only work with mice.
        You would need an active PS/2-to-USB adapter, but it's not a given they will work. With DIN-5 keyboards, the required voltage might be more than the USB can feed, and therefore will never work.

BTW, are you sure the BIOS doesn't have an "error halt" option to at least boot the computer?

Comment

Strangely enough I tried to enter setup by pressing F10 during bootup using a USB keyboard and it went straight to windows instead and booted all the way. This at the keyboard error screen.

I don't know how worked but I'm very happy now.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Comment

Working...
          X